Summer is definitely in full swing, which means lots of smoothies, fresh fruit, raw veggies, salads, and lighter eats. Also some curry (naturally) and my sweet and sour tofu stir fry (recipe below)!
Shockingly, I don’t have nearly as many pics as usual! I’m especially sad I don’t have any from the party I hosted Friday night for my friend’s annual bday bash weekend! My guy’s son made the main dish, and I made a bunch of salad sides. Guess I was too busy playing host to remember the pics!
Crissie’s Sweet & Sour Tofu Stir-Fry
• 1 block extra firm tofu, pressed and cubed
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 large can of cubed pineapple in juice (keep the juice)
• 1/2 head of broccoli, cut into florets
• 1/2 red onion, cut into large wedges
• 1 red bell pepper, cut into large squares
• 1 small can diced water chestnuts
• 1 small can bamboo shoots
• 1 can bean sprouts (or use fresh)
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1/4 tsp ground ginger
• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
• 3 tbsp mirin (or regular white vinegar)
• 2 tbsp soy sauce/tamari
• 3 tbsp corn starch
• red pepper flakes
• salt to taste
• In a very large pan or wok, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
• Add tofu, and stir until starting to brown on all sides.
• Add garlic, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
• Add red onion and bell pepper and cook for 4 minutes.
• Sprinkle a few shakes of red pepper flakes. I did about 3 shakes since my young one doesn’t like super spicy.
• Meanwhile, pour the pineapple juice into a measuring cup. Add enough water or veggie broth to make 1 1/2 cups. Add in the ginger, brown sugar, soy sauce, and corn starch. Mix well and set aside.
• Add the broccoli and cook for 4 minutes.
• Add water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and pineapple. Stir well.
• Add the liquid and bring the heat to high until it starts to boil. Once it boils, turn down to medium and cook for 3-4 minutes, until sauce thickens.
• Add bean sprouts and heat through.
• Salt and extra soy sauce at the table for everyone to adjust to taste.
It has been all about the home gym! Spin and weights mostly. Some yoga too.
Honestly, I’m in a running rut. I just don’t feel like going – so I haven’t. Maybe it’s the heat, maybe it’s the excitement of the bike, but I noticed that the last half dozen runs or so I forced myself to do, and that’s not typical. I usually NEED to run. Oh well, not analyzing it too much. I still get great workouts in, just different I guess.
Life has been pretty awesome. Always ups and downs, but that’s normal. It’s been a whole week off from classes, and I’m almost a little bored! My guy says I need a hobby. I don’t know if I have enough time and energy to give any hobby justice.
R is in Florida for the week with her best friend’s family. St. Augustine, Disney, and Resort fun for 9 whole days! They are having a blast! I miss her like crazy, but we chat and I know she’s having a wonderful time.
The landscaping adventures have been going well. All the rocks are gone and now it’s tackling the weeds and getting the sprinkler system fixed. Overall though, the yard is light years better than it ever was.
Also had the house and back deck pressure washed too. It all looks so pretty!
And R and I gutted the shed. It was the only thing I hadn’t done since the divorce. It was so disorganized and full of crap, it was fun to clean it out. I have SO much space (and two leaf blowers!).
I bought a new door for the screened in porch – one with a doggie door! The previous door had a torn screen from when Kuma was stranded outside during a storm and needed to get into shelter. Since Ginny is feline leukemia positive and can’t ever be outdoors, the screened in porch was her sanctuary. My guy came by to hang it up, and it’s totally perfect. And once again, I have a happy fluff!
This weekend was the second annual beach and birthday bash! My good friend M’s birthday was Wednesday, and he and I co-host a weekend of parties, friends, boats, and beaches! Friday night is at my house – this year was a BBQ bash and pool party. Saturday we occupied two boats and spent the day on the water enjoying a perfect day. Last night was a taco bar at M & R’s house, and today was brunch at a waterfront restaurant (which I didn’t make this year). Our out of town friends are split between mine and M’s houses as many travel quite a ways to get here. In all, I think there were about 20 people, and it was an amazing time.
Ginny cuddled in my guys lap for about an hour Friday night. I think it was her way of thanking him for giving her a catio space again!
One of my guests was a puppy! Jackson is a Shiba/Shepherd mix and totally sweet. He and Kuma got along just fine.
Today I had to stop at my guys house to return a cooler, then went grocery shopping. Been a day of meal prep, laundry, and putting the house back together post-party and guests! All told – a pretty perfect weekend!
Otherwise it’s been a ton of pool fun, java on the back deck, fluffs, and fun!