I have to say, the Instant Pot is pretty cool. I’ve seen several bloggers write about it, and after several months, decided I needed to have one. It’s a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, and dutch oven all in one. I’ve used it at least 4 times since I got it this weekend. Aside from the week’s worth of steel oats I made, I used it to make basmati rice (in about 4 minutes!), stew, a pot of beans, and a new dish too (keep reading for recipe)! It’s official. I’ve drunk the pressure cooker kool aid.
Sunday night I made tofurky, roasted carrots, basmati rice, and mushroom gravy.
Monday and Tuesday were nearly identical green smoothies for breakfast (though they’re purple!).
Monday afternoon was broccoli soup, and dinner was a veggie burger on corn tortillas with ketchup, mustard, and cabbage.
Lunch today was leftover soup, and dinner was fun in the Instant Pot! You can use a regular pressure cooker too.
Crissie’s Pressure Cooker Lentils, Rice, & Cauliflower Curry
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger root (I use the jarred ginger rather than mincing fresh root – reduce to 1/4 tsp if you use ground)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder (I used hot curry)
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup brown rice, rinsed
- 3 1/2 cups water or veggie broth (I used Better than Bullion veggie base)
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 1/2 cup water
- use the saute feature of your electric pressure cooker or Instant Pot (for a stove top pressure cooker, use medium heat) and cook the onion and garlic in a little bit of broth or water until translucent.
- add ginger, cumin, curry powder, and mustard seed. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- add lentils, rice, and water or broth and close the cooker.
- Cook at high pressure for 10 minutes. Quick release.
- Add cauliflower, remaining 1/2 cup of water, and salt. No need to stir.
- Close the cooker and cook at high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Let it naturally release.
- Stir and eat!
Sunday I went for a run in my new neighborhood! I did a nice 4 miler that included a loop around a local park. It was really nice.
Today I went to the gym and ran on the treadmill and checked out a new piece of equipment – a cross trainer.
It’s been a really good couple of days. Sunday was tea, organizing the new house, chilling by the fire, grocery shopping, booking the spring break trip for me, R, M and one of M’s best friends (D has a big project and can’t take off, so M’s friend is coming instead) and Yahtzee! R and I had a rematch and she won. Then we all played, and M won. I came in dead last.
Then it was back to normal! Work, school, and life!
- all my grub has been healthy and balanced. Woo hoo!
- I snacked on some pretzels and hummus, but otherwise no gluten
- haven’t gone out to eat the past few days (and not too often the past week, other than the vegan meet-up)
- exercised twice since Sunday!
- been planning meals and prepping in advance. Soup, pre-shredded cabbage, diced up fruits and veggies, big pot of curry, etc.
- no weekday wine. Had two glasses on Sunday while cooking and playing Yahtzee.
- have not meditated at all since moving
- haven’t slowed down any – in fact, I think my pace has picked up. Too much going on, and I’ve had no real down time in weeks. It’s starting to show with hives coming back, so I need to work on that.