Not a Yoga Snob


Well, this weekend was awesome on the food front. Friday night was a fun evening of making Indian food with my girl S. We decided on a girls night in at her house, cooked up a wicked storm, had wine, and hung out.

On the menu? Red lentil dahl, spicy mashed eggplant and potato, basmati rice with cumin and cardamom, and cauliflower and potatoes. And wine (S belongs to some wine club, so that was awesome).

Saturday was green smoothies and mac n peas. GF elbow pasta, peas, cheddar Teeze, and some fresh ground pepper. Comfort food without the gluten, fat, or calories!

I was supposed to host the vegan meet-up event, but with illness and house tradgedies, I had to cancel. Since I was perfectly healthy, I hung out at H's house. She was going to come to the party, so it was nice we still got to spend the evening together. She had a beautiful spread of fruits, hummus, crackers, tortilla chips, guacamole, and veggies. With a couple glass of chianti and her pups becoming my total snuggle muffin, it was another wonderful girl's night in.

Sunday was my normal day of grocery shopping and food prep. I ended up making Indian for dinner again, this time with tandoori veggies and garlic naan in addition to the red lentil dahl.

Today I had green smoothies twice (one as a normal breakfast and one for dinner because I was too tired to eat anything that required effort). Lunch was some kale with garlic-tahini.



I went to the best yoga class yesterday! And what's even more awesome, is that I went to the Y and took advantage of my membership there.

For the past several years, I've paid extra to go to my hot yoga studios in the area. At $17-20 per class, it certainly isn't cheap. I don't want to do a membership to any one studio, because my work takes me all over the area and some days I can be near one place, but other days closer to home. Anyway, with us paying more attention to budgets and spending, I thought I'd go to a class at the Y (we have 16 Y's in our area, and I can go to any Y in the world with my membership, my family goes to the Y almost every day for one reason or another, I may as well use what I have!).

I will admit, I went into thinking that it would be sub-standard somehow. It's not a hot class. It's at a regular fitness place and not somewhere “dedicated” to yoga. Blah blah blah. I was so happy to be wrong. S met me for the class, and while it was not a hot class, it was not easy either. The instructor was as quality and experienced as any yoga studio I've been to in the last 10 years, and I will definitely take her class again.


Well, what can I say…it's been busy. Friday was a normal workday, and ended up being a really productive one. Even a late afternoon meeting ended up being totally awesome, so no complaints here.

M sent another post card from camp, and he's apparently having an amazing time. It's hard having him gone for so long, but he's happy, so I can't complain.

A has been going through all her check lists (mainly because D and I are making her) of everything she needs done before she heads off for University next month. I'm in denial and we'll talk about how my baby girl is leaving home later when I actually have to deal with it.

S's husband was out of town this past weekend, so she and I were thinking a girls night would be fun. We originally talked about the Outer Banks (if you're an East Coaster, otherwise known as the OBX) – Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, Hatteras, NC. Not too far from us (a little over an hour), but we decided that the weather was too poopy and we weren't willing to spend the $$ for a night away, so we did a sleep over at her house. Indian food, wine, catching up….couldn't ask for a better evening.

Saturday I took a nap when I got home, made some lunch, and lazed about until going to H's house. D wasn't feeling hot (not as sick as A was, but definitely fighting it off), so he was mostly resting.

H's pup is the cutest little thing. He's very snuggly and small, so we became fast friends lying on the sofa. I seriously couldn't imagine Sammie lying in my lap on the couch!

Sunday was house work, laundry, grocery shopping (actually paying attention to sales!), prepping food for the week (dinners and lunches), and hanging out at home.

For some reason, I ended up with major insomnia last night, and it was past 2 when I fell asleep. Getting up this morning was rougher than normal, but once at work, I mostly wake up anyway. This evening has been chill, D took R to swim team practice, I did dishes, chatted with my Uncle in FL, and I am now heading to bed!


Published by


I am a 45 yo busy career single mom and doctoral student attempting to find her inner athlete, be a gluten-free(ish) vegan, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, box, do yoga, dance, travel, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s