Clean Eating and Sort of Sleeping


Food the past few days has been clean and simple.  Yesterday, I had a berry and greens smoothie for breakfast, and Quenna’s Raw & Vegan for lunch.  Dinner was marinated tofu and steamed spaghetti squash with just a little fresh ground pepper.

Vega Berry with 1/2 a banana and a cup or so of frozen mixed berries
Avocado Friday’s at Quenna’s! This is an avocado stuffed lettuce wrap, topped with tons of veggies and sprouts, served with tofu stuffed tomatoes. Absolutely amazing.
Tofu marinated in Blood Orange Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar served with plain steamed spaghetti squash with some fresh black pepper.

This morning started with coffee, and then some grass.  Everyone was sleeping, and I didn’t want the VitaMix to wake them up, so I put a scoop of Amazing Grass in my blender ball with a cup of water and a huge slice of lemon.  Later in the morning, I had some steamed tofu with bean sprouts.

Often on the weekends, we don’t do actual lunches.  I put out a buffet spread of “snacky” foods, and we pick all afternoon long.  Today’s spread was a fruit medly of cherries, strawberries, and blueberries, a veggie medly of radishes, cucumbers, celery, and broccoli, pretzels, amped up guacamole (make a basic batch of your fav guac and add 4 cups spinach to it.  Blend and love!), veggie dips, tortilla chips, and horseradish hummus.

Dinner is underway, but it’ll be grilled veggies, corn, and tofurkey sausages.

I did have one bad food experience last night.  I ate two cherries.  And my face and mouth more or less exploded.  Everything itched, throat swelling, and hives on my lips.  This is the third different fruit that has caused this, and I’m not sufficiently scared and emailed my doctor.  Hopefully I’ll hear from her early next week.  Until then, I’m sort of avoiding fruits other than bananas.  The reading I’ve done leads me to think I may have something called Oral Allergy Syndrome.  I know I wrote about it a few months ago – but I honestly didn’t do anything about it.  It seems to be related to ragweed and birch allergies, and often develops in your 30’s and 40’s.  So for my sister who’s ears itched when she ate bananas….not crazy.  It’s a more common thing than we know!


Rest days.  Forceable rest days because of my head cold.  I’m on the upswing though, so that’s awesome.  I’m hoping to be up for a run tomorrow, because I really really want to run at the Botanical Gardens.


I mentioned the Botanical Gardens.  I’ve lived in VA for 8 1/2 years, and I never went before last weekend.  After D and I (and two of our kids and 3 of our friends’ kids) went for an afternoon, we both were amazed at how awesome it was.  We looked into it, and bought a membership, so now I can go whenever I want.  The membership we got includes early admission, so I can run on their 12 miles of trails in relative peace.  They also host biking nights 3 nights per week, have yoga classes, and lots of other things.  Can’t believe it took this long to even bother checking it out!

they do boat tours at the gardens on Lake Whitehurst. Definitely want to do that one of these days…

A few months ago, my husband bought me some fancy olive oil and vinegar from a specialty boutique in Virginia Beach called Savor the Olive.  I ran out of the Tuscan Herb Infused oil and aged balsamic, and you can take your bottles in and get a discount on a refill.  I headed out there, and thought I had died and gone to olive oil and vinegar heaven.  The entire place is filled with these neat containers…and get this…they have a tasting room!  After trying a few, I left with my refilled bottles, as well as a bottle of blood orange olive oil and pear/cranberry white balsamic vinegar.  I’ve already become a spice snob (thanks to

Life on the sleep front hasn’t been as terrible as I thought it would be (yet).  Thursday night I fell asleep well, but woke up an average of 4-5x per hour.  I made myself get out of bed at 630 am though, and not look back.  It was a rough day, but by the time 1030 rolled around and it was time for bed again, I was beat….which is sort of the point.  Anyway, last night I took a little bit longer to fall asleep, but not by too much, and I only woke a handful of times all night.  Again, I was up by 630.

The hardest part is the retraining of my brain.  If D and the kids are playing video games or watching one of “their shows”, I tend to go up to our room and watch something or read in bed.  I can’t do those things anymore, and it’s throwing me off some.  But hey – if it leads to cured insomnia, I’m all for it.


Published by


I am a 45 yo busy career single mom and doctoral student attempting to find her inner athlete, be a gluten-free(ish) vegan, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, box, do yoga, dance, travel, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s