My Near Death (by burpee) Experience


Again, far too many days have passed since my last post to possibly outline the food I’ve had.  I will say, that I mostly didn’t eat over the weekend, and when I did, it was a quick blender-ball made shake or a banana.

My husband and hero did bring me a yummy vegan pizza from Bella’s on Sunday, which also provided me with breakfast on Monday!  Woo hoo!

Let’s just start with today, shall we?  Breakfast was a Vega shake, blended with water, half of a banana, and a cup of frozen strawberries.  I’ve been a Vega products fan for a number of years.  For 141 calories, I get the following:

I find it interesting when people think that to be healthy, they HAVE to eat meat, or when people find out I’m vegan, wonder how I could possibly be healthy or get the standard “where do you get your protein?” question.  Since the human body only needs 50g of protein per day, it’s MUCH easier to get protein than the Atkins-crazy society thinks.  I will concede that serious athletes do require a bit more.  But I digress, I get mine from tofu, beans, tempeh, seeds, and green leafy veggies.  To the veggie haters, I ask where they get their vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, and fiber?  Sorry to get preachy.  Just trying to educate my non-veg friends out there.

Lunch was a tofurky keilbasa with pickle relish and sauerkraut and a side of green beans.  And a salad I snarfed before I thought to take a picture of it….


The last week and a half have been a whirlwind of activity.  Between A’s birthday, the trip to DC for work (and okay, taking in a bit of the city too since I was there and all), D’s overnight hospital stay, and then my babysitting gig for almost 4 days, I didn’t do much other than get in a run when I could.

M and I have been going to crossfit about 3-4x per week the past few.  He also does some intense workouts at school (they do CF there too, plus running for about 90 min per day), and towards the end of last week, he was clearly overdoing it – so I forced him to take a couple of days off.  He was reluctant at first, but is much better off for it.

As a result, yesterday was our first day back in about a week.  I was very pumped because I’d missed it.  After doing the running warm-up, stretches, sit ups, and planks, it was time for skill work.  I spent 20 minutes working on double-unders – jumping rope where you have the jump rope go under twice on each jump.  Coach B gave me tips that really helped, but 20 minutes of jumping is crazy!  I have no idea how I survived the playground as a kid doing double-dutch all recess long…..

After the skill session (M worked on kipping pull-ups), it was time for the WOD.  I decided after that it should be called Death By Burpee….but discovered that there actually IS a WOD called that.  So I’m just calling this my near-death-by-burpee experience.

We did hang cleans and burpees in 3 rounds.  21 reps the first round, 15 the second, and 9 the third.  I wanted to throw up by the time I was finished.  It was awesome (well, I can say that now anyway!).

I’m looking forward to tonight’s too!  I was hoping to go running too, but it’s been raining all day.  If I get desperate enough, I’ll use the treadmill.  But I doubt it 🙂


This past Memorial weekend I watched my friend’s three kids while she and her husband traveled out-of-state.  I stayed at their house namely because it’s easier on the kids – and my house isn’t exactly baby proofed anymore!  E is a very snuggly 4 mo old baby, and other than if he’s hungry, is just happy all the time.  It was really awesome spending time with him, and I envision frequent kidnapping of that one.  J is a very energetic and goofy (almost) 3-year-old, and R is a smart and sassy 5 yr old.  I think by Monday night, we were all exhausted and happy when mom and dad came home.

On Sunday, D, M, and my R came out, and we all went to the Botanical Gardens.  It was a really nice afternoon, and I’m looking forward to going back to spend more time wandering around in a bit more leisurely way.

Since coming back home late on Monday, my focus has been on spending time with my family.  A was in NYC on a school trip the whole weekend, and with me staying at AC’s house, I didn’t see much of D, M, or R.  Even though I was beyond exhausted Monday, D and I did stay up late to snuggle, have a glass of wine, and watch one of my favorite movies, Lock, Stock, & Two Smoking Barrels.

Now I think I’m going to spend some time updating my iPod with some new workout music!

Published by


I am a 45 yo busy career single mom and doctoral student attempting to find her inner athlete, be a gluten-free(ish) vegan, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, box, do yoga, dance, travel, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s