Today’s Wardrobe Malfunction: Swim Caps and Conditioner Don’t Mix


Breakfast this morning was two cups of coffee and a whole wheat bagel with Tofutti’s Better than Cream Cheese.  Always a good standby when I actually feel like eating breakfast foods in the morning – something I’ve gotten over in the past couple of years.

For lunch, I met up with D at The Cutting Edge cafe between meetings.  We realized our calendars were both good to allow us to eat together, and my only requirement was “nothing junky”.  This fit the bill nicely!  I had the medi veggie panini (no feta) on the sourdough bread (their wheatberry bread isn’t vegan), and the couscous side.  Both dishes were fabulous.  D had his favorite club sandwich with a side of fruit, which he said was just awesome.  They use a lot of local ingredients, and D commented on how amazing the cantaloupe was.  He’s a fan, but the one’s in the grocery just don’t retain that sweetness that a fresh picked one will.  He was thrilled.

D took my camera and took a picture of his "appetizer". These are just the meds he has to take at lunchtime to manage his Crohn's. Imagine this times 3, and that's what he deals with every day.

I noticed that my couscous had walnuts in it.  While not an issue for me, I’ve blogged many times about R’s severe nut allergies, and commented to D about how it would be nice if they put a disclaimer on their menu regarding nuts in dishes.  On our way out, D spoke to the co-owner to mention it may be of value.  Apparently a new menu will be printed soon (their offerings are nicely seasonal), and is going to look into putting something on the new menu.  I don’t think people realize how devastating a food allergy or sensitivity can be unless they’re personally affected by it.  I certainly didn’t until R was diagnosed when she was 4.

My mid afternoon/pre workout snack was a magical banana.  Guaranteed to power you for a good hour or two.

For dinner I made another BAS.  I think I’m going to start a BAS movement.  Maybe even a separate page on the blog (gasp) and my addiction to the Big Ass Salad continues to grow.  There are worse addictions, I’m sure.  Today’s was romaine lettuce, purple cabbage, onion, tomato, celery, and avocado.  I ate this just after my workout around 545pm, and while it wasn’t my intention for it to become my dinner (I really planned to make a cold avocado soup and maybe something with butternut squash), but I was so full after the salad, that it ended up being my dinner after all.  I suppose…I ate an entire head of lettuce.  That’s pretty filling!

today's BAS


I hit up the YMCA after work for a very long overdue swim workout.  I was giddy by the time I pulled into the parking lot.  At last!  A workout my body can handle without killing my back.  Woo hoo!

The workout I printed out was longer than I did.  I only swam 1000 yds, even though I felt like I could have easily doubled that (thank you banana).  I was worried about overdoing it though and putting myself (and my back) back to square one.  So…I swam 1000 yds and then hit the hot tub for 10 minutes followed by a little shavasana (corpse pose – charming name, I know, but you really just lie down in the most relaxing position there is) in the sauna for another 15.

I did have a wardrobe malfunction in the pool though.  I have long hair, and I always tie it into a loose bun before putting my swim cap on.  No biggie, right?  I also happen to have curly hair, and as such, I only use shampoo about once a week.  Otherwise, I just use conditioner daily.  As I was swimming, I noticed that my swim cap kept sliding off my head, and I’d have to slow down and try to push it back into place.  This, of course, made my goggles get moved around, and I’d get water in my eyes.  Finally half way through, my swim cap came off altogether.  I tried to put it back on, but it wouldn’t work.  It was slippery on the inside and wouldn’t “stick” to my melon.  I finally realized it was because in the shower today I only used conditioner, and then wore my hair up.  When it got wet under the cap, it got slippery and nothing was going to stick to it.  I ended up tying my hair back in a tighter bun, and went from there, with the cap lying on the edge of the pool.  Lesson for Crissie – rinse hair VERY well before putting on cap and swimming.


I finally slept a little better than normal last night.  Not stellar, but not awful either.  I fell asleep before D (as I should and prefer), but woke up an hour or two later from his snoring.  I popped in some ear plugs, pushed him onto his side, and went back to sleep more or less for the rest of the night.  I’m a terribly light sleeper, so even though he can’t control that he has allergies and will snore on his back (and it’s really NOT that loud…but it is enough), it still wakes me right up.  I’m also theorizing that the reduced activity has affected my quality of sleep.  Roll with me on this, because my increased swimming and yoga should cure me.  I hope.

I had some site visits this morning (touching base with my users), and then a workgroup meeting that went well as always.  We have a great workgroup with my VP and we always have a good time.  Certainly never boring and always open and informative…and funny.  My VP is a hoot and her stories generally have us laughing so hard, we forget we’re working.

After lunch was another meeting and then catching up on emails.  I’m now down to only THIRTEEN unread emails in my inbox!  That’s incredible considering I had almost 900 two weeks ago.

As much as work is going very well and I’m very happy…the thing I’m happiest about right now is the upcoming Vida Vegan Con bloggers conference in Portland, OR next week!!!  I leave next Wednesday…only 5 more days!!!  I’m spending a couple of days in Seattle before and after to visit with CM and his wife and re-visit the city I lived in over 12 years ago.  And miss terribly.

I get to go!!!! Sold out, first ever, vegan bloggers conference.

D made me a tote bag for the conference, and I just love it.  He’s so sweet and thoughtful, it kills me.

how perfect, right?

Speaking of D being absolutely amazing….(nice segue, right?)

He did something today that yet again warms my heart and makes me realize every day how incredible he is.  We had a tragedy locally last week.  A couple was in a car accident, the husband was killed, and the wife very critically injured.  She is too injured to attend her husband’s funeral tomorrow.  So what did my husband do?  He arranged with the funeral home to have the funeral streamed online so his wife could “attend” from her bed.  And then he hand delivered a laptop to the nurses with detailed instructions on how to open the page so this woman could say goodbye.  And then he left his cell number in case there’s a problem tomorrow so he could go there personally and make it work.  He’s such a good man.  And now my eyes are getting teary, so I’m going to stop gushing.

After dinner and watching the latest episode of Leverage, it was all about the conference next week.  They created a link that lets us subscribe to everyone’s blog, and currently there are 72 that I don’t already follow!  After reading about 20 posts, I stopped and took a picture of my screen.  I’ll be reading most of the night!

On a slightly funny note…I saw an article in Time magazine online today about the top 10 most promiscuous cities in the United States.  Aside from providing a list of where my children will NOT attend college…the top two happen to be where I’m traveling next week.  Portland and Seattle.  Cheeky monkeys.

I’ve also been batting around the idea for the past year (skip this Dad) of getting a new tattoo.  While I was training for the Chicago marathon, I thought about getting a tattoo to commemorate the achievement once I finished.  And then after the Tri, I thought about it again.  So is it a sign that a VEGAN tattoo parlor in Portland is offering a 15% discount to conference attendees?  I’m thinking it may be….stay tuned.

So I’m going to go back to reading my new blogging friends’ posts, since it’s a Friday night and I don’t have to get up TOO early tomorrow morning!

Published by


I am a 45 yo busy career single mom and doctoral student attempting to find her inner athlete, be a gluten-free(ish) vegan, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, box, do yoga, dance, travel, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

4 thoughts on “Today’s Wardrobe Malfunction: Swim Caps and Conditioner Don’t Mix

  1. Ok, that is such an incredible thing to do – streaming the funeral service. Wow. I hope you have a fantastic time in Seattle then OR. I love Seattle and would love to visit Portland. At least your wardrobe malfunction was only the cap, my luck it would have been the top coming down 😉

    1. HA! My suit is a one piece, so thankfully it stayed in place. The cap though…I need wash it out to remove conditioner remnants!
      And yeah, I’m really proud of D. He’s such a nice guy (most of the time!).

    1. I was totally paranoid when I went swimming on Sunday. It mostly stayed put though – just a little sliding around. I scrubed the heck out of the cap before hand, so there were only a little slippery remnants left.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s