Raw Food Frenzy!!! (Coffee and Wine Clearly Don’t Count)


Saturday didn’t really go as planned.  I was expecting to be home, but I wasn’t, so I had to improvise.  I had my BAS (Big Ass Salad) for breakfast with tabbouleh, and then ended up with a Clif bar for lunch on the way to Busch Gardens (will explain later).  I didn’t eat anything there, but ate the rest of the tabbouleh around 10pm after I got home.

This morning I made what is currently my favorite smoothie.  Angela, on Oh She Glows, calls it the Pink Flamingo, and it’s divine.  I simply put 3 wedges of watermelon, a handful of frozen strawberries, and a ripe banana into the Vitamix.  I have frozen bananas on hand too, but not fresh strawberries, and I find as long as one of them is in frozen form, it comes out nice and creamy and smooth and dreamy.  After my 2 cups of java (I seem to be back up to 2 black cups a day instead of 1), I made this up and was loving every drop of it.  Since I was the only one awake, I didn’t have to share.  Even my über picky husband and youngest child like this one.

watermelon, strawberries, and banana! Simple...but perfect!

I whipped up a batch of raw bread too to put into the dehydrator.  It’s not done yet, so I only have the “before” shot.  If it turns out, I’ll post the recipe tomorrow.

For lunch I made another BAS with romaine, spinach, tomato, cauliflower, broccoli, pea shoots, and green onion, topped with a favorite dressing of mine I whipped up a few days ago.  I was spending the afternoon doing a lot of raw food prep, and didn’t want to be hungry while doing it.  I woke up this morning deciding that this week is going to be a mostly raw week (coffee and wine not withstanding).

Dressing of Happiness

1 cup olive oil (cold press if you’re feeling like it)

1/2 small onion

1 TBSP Dijon mustard

1/3 cup agave nectar (can use sugar if that’s what you have on hand)

1/3 cup cider vinegar

1 tsp celery salt

*blend until creamy.  Use liberally 🙂  It’s reminiscent to me of the hot mustard dressing used on spinach and bacon salads.  Just better 😉

I haven’t had dinner yet, but (at 415pm), I have had 2 glasses of white wine.  I have to head to bed soon to make it to my 10pm shift at the hospital command center tonight (it’s where we IT people work when we open a new hospital – to be there if any of the 30+ systems blow up).

I did have a ton of fun in the kitchen though.  Like I mentioned, I’m going on a raw food kick this week.  Being on night’s all week really inspired that since I don’t digest well when I’m up all night, but sleeping all day.

I spiralized a TON of zucchini for a few recipes.  One for a raw tomato marinara that I plan to eat this evening – hopefully before work, but maybe once I’m there.  I also made a Thai Red Curry dish with the rest of the zucc, mung beans, and fresh green beans.  I wish I was hungry, because I really want to use that.  I used a very generous portion of the hot curry powder my Dad got me for Christmas.

who needs pasta when you have this?!!?


raw tomato marinara ingredients before blended....
...and after!

I packed up the leftovers, the containers for tonight, and I’m set until morning!

tonight's pasta marinara dinner, ready to go!
red curry sauce, with coconut milk and spices
red curry sauce tossed with zucc "noodles", mung bean sprouts, and string beans


The only thing I managed that was planned yesterday was yoga.  I was intending on strength training and running, but ended up going to Busch Gardens instead.  I strapped on my Nike+ GPS and proceeded to hike around the part for 5 miles to at least get a workout in while the boys rode every roller coaster there.  Twice.

I’ll be happy when I’m back on day’s and a regular schedule.  At least I’m on the same shift for the next 5 days, and that will give me some semblance of a routine.  I imagine getting home by 7am, sleeping until 3, working out from 4-530, and still having time for dinner and shower and family before heading back for a 10pm shift at the hospital.  However…I’ve done these of shifts enough to know that best laid plans….often go to hell quickly.  I’ll do the best I can!


So….life took an unexpected (though not unwelcomed) detour yesterday.  I think I mentioned in my last post that M was going to Busch Garden’s with his friend and his friend’s Dad.  I had offered earlier in the week to take the kids Sat night (knowing I’m on nights and I’d be more awake than a day trip…and it’s too hot to enjoy a day trip in my opinion).

Anyway, I had M check with his friend on Friday before I went to GNI (Girl’s Night In at AC’s house), and this is the EXACT text he sent me “D’s dad wants to stay for fireworks”.  Okay.  Fireworks are at 930pm, and with D’s dad picking them up at 930, that means a different parent is on BG duty for the day.  Yeah…apparently my son totally made that up.  I found out at 1pm yesterday that D’s dad was toast – and was more than happy to have me come up and “relieve him of duty” with the boys.  So…I hopped in the shower and hauled my butt up there.  Since traffic was a mess, I didn’t get there until 4, but we stayed the rest of the evening while D’s Dad (happily – and deservedly – went home.  I wouldn’t have taken them in the heat of the VA summer day!).

I spent most of my time hiking around the park, and stopping occasionally for some Kindle reading or a ride or a show.  It was a nice day, and once the storms passed (which I rode out in dry comfort in Germany), it was nice.

I was getting a bottle of water when in Germany when I saw this!!  I thought it was cool.  Even though R wasn’t with me, I bought it for her anyway.  It’s heartening to see a major theme park taking food allergies seriously.

allergy friendly snack pack - for ALL common food allergies

Saturday night at bedtime had to be the best though.  The last time D and I slept in our own bed at the same time was last Monday night.  I finally….FINALLY…got a full and restful night’s sleep.  Ahh….too bad it’ll be next Thursday night before that happens again!

This morning I woke early to a quiet house.  I probably could have fallen back to sleep, but wanted to be sure I’d be able to nap before work tonight.  No promises since I stink at napping, but I’m going to try!

I made coffee, and then broke out all my Raw food books, my sticky notes, and a pad of paper to make my weekly meal plan.  3 hrs later, armed with a detailed menu and grocery list, I took off for some speed fruit/veggie shopping!

stack of books....ready for review!

I hit the Asian Market, Trader Joe’s, and Fresh Market – all within an hour.  It was nice and I picked up a TON of stuff.

I bounced around my kitchen listening to my iPod and making fun and yummy food, and dicing up fruits and veggies to make my life easier this coming week.  Hopefully it works!

leftover labeled marinara sauce

So now I’m off to try to get a couple of hours of sleep before waking at 8pm to get ready for a night at the hospital!


Published by


I am a 45 yo busy career single mom and doctoral student attempting to find her inner athlete, be a gluten-free(ish) vegan, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, box, do yoga, dance, travel, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

2 thoughts on “Raw Food Frenzy!!! (Coffee and Wine Clearly Don’t Count)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s