Holy Rampage Batman…It’s Another Novel!

So this is my 200th post!  I can’t believe I’ve been keeping this blog for about a year and a half, and the evolution it’s taken in that time.  It was initially a way to keep me honest about my training, and has turned into being so much more for me.  It’s a way to get my thoughts out, keep people I both know and have “met” through blogging updated on what’s going on in my head and kitchen, and to connect with people around the world.  It’s cathartic, it’s fun, and I find myself thinking about what I’m going to write about during the day and getting excited to sit and get it from my melon into written word.  So thanks to you all for reading….and hope you never get bored with what I have to say!


Friday wasn’t a very inspired food day.  It was too busy to be creative!  I did, though, have a certain revelation (if you could call it that).

I wanted to get into the office early (around 730), so I only had java at home, and I packed up the leftover potato/cauliflower Indian curry and brown jasmine rice to have once I was there and settled.  It was a fairly large serving since I knew it would need to tide me over until close to 1pm due to my meeting schedule.

Holy cow, am I glad I did that.  I ate it around 830 as I was prepping for a 9am team meeting, which then turned into the audit meeting, which then turned into me having to drive from where my office is to another one of our corporate buildings because the silly vendor I work with often sent the software discs to the wrong place and I had to go get them.  I got there, and ended up having an impromptu meeting with my boss, which meant I had no time to grab my planned wrap on my way to the tour of our new-but-not-yet-opened hospital.  By the time I was headed back to my end of town, it was 3pm and I was more than a little hungry.

I was supposed to have a 3pm finance/happy hour meeting, but it ended up being canceled.  I was bummed – I wanted both the information I needed and a beer (not to mention the meeting was with a friend that would give us a chance to catch up).  D was going to stop out and meet up with us when he got done with his afternoon meetings, so I decided to go anyway.  What the heck – I had my Kindle, I was hungry, and it WAS happy hour after all – so I went and spent about 45min-1hr by myself reading, eating, and having a drink.  D got there, he had a beer, we chatted about our respective day, and then it was time for us to go and divide and conquer picking up our girls (R was at daycare, A got home early – 5pm – because their school had an event, and M was already home via the school bus).  It was a nice mini-break.

We went to a place that has a very large selection of burgers – with a vegan veggie burger option.  I wasn’t in the mood for anything fancy, so I had their homemade burger on a whole wheat bun with lettuce, tomato, mustard, and ketchup.  I cut it in half, ate while reading, and was just feeling happy and peaceful.  I got full after half the burger, put the plate to the side, and concentrated on my book (and beer). 

D and I went over to our friends’ house around 9 for a couple drinks, and on the way we had a talk about an NPR segment he had been listening to.  It was about Mississippi and the recent declaration that they are the most obese state in the country – which is the most obese country in the world – which makes MS the most obese place on earth.  The segment had to do with the correlation between obesity and poverty and the lack of understanding of basic nutrition.  I thought it could go a step further than that – I’m working on a research article that takes the data that made experts draw that conclusion – and extends it to education levels and the access to healthcare and healthcare insurance (that’s a BIG passion of mine – healthcare coverage).

It was during this conversation that I had a realization about my own journey to being healthy.  It was something very small and insignificant to most people, but quite an ah-ha moment for me.  I ate half of my veggie burger.  I stopped eating when I was full.  I’m not sure how I got to this point (FINALLY) in my life, but I can honestly say that there were plenty of times in my past (recent past even) when I would have eaten it all just because it was there – or because it was tasty – not paying any attention at all to the signals in my body that it didn’t need nor want anything more.  Over the many years it took to revamp my health, my habits, and in turn, my body (losing 70 lbs will do that for ya I guess!), I reached what I felt yesterday was a pretty monumental moment of awareness.  It’s also been fun the past few days really talking about health and nutrition with D.  With him really trying to be healthier, it’s been mostly one-sided discussions before, but not anymore.  He’s always been a great listener and very supportive, but now there’s a whole different level to it. 

Okay, back to my eating.  Since I had such a late lunch (about 4ish), I wasn’t hungry for dinner.  We went to AC and JC’s house, and she had a nice tray of olives, hummus, spicy salsa (because I LOVE spice!), pretzels, and tortilla chips, so I had great light snack – and some white wine.

This morning I woke up much earlier than I wanted (by about an hour), so I made a pot of the flavored chocolate covered cherry coffee I picked up at Fresh Market (which I thought was awesome!  D didn’t – he’s not a flavored coffee kind of guy).  Oh well – that’s what he gets for leaving it to me to make coffee (I HATE setting up the coffee pot.  I love coffee – but I really, really hate brewing it).  He usually preps it on a timer the night before.  And he irons all my clothes for work.  I know…so spoiled 🙂

Saturday’s are always busy, so after my coffee I had half a toasted bagel with Earth Balance, and then I was out the door.

For lunch, R and I went to Moe’s for my very favorite taco salad!  I got (as always) the Personal Trainer with black beans.  I also go the marinated tofu with it this time as well.  No shell.  I usually get the shell because I feel I’ve earned it – but I looked it up and the calorie difference with the shell is 650 more!  I thought that was more obscene than I was willing to deal with.  An 850 calorie salad is insane.

I wasn’t overly hungry, so I ate half of it while R raved about her quesadilla.  It was a nice girls lunch with my littlest one.

lettuce, black beans, jalapenos, tofu, cucumbers, onions, salsa, hot sauce, cilantro, and guac.  YUM.

After we were back home for an hour or so, I had a mild munchies/sweet tooth thing going on, so I made a little dessert plate for myself.  I sliced a banana, sprinkled some cinnamon on it, and then put a side of a raw granola I made the other day out of soaked buckwheat groats, raw pumpkin seeds, raisins, vanilla, and agave.  It was a recipe I found for a vegan energy bar, and while I couldn’t get it to set in bar form, it makes a great granola to sprinkle on things.  It was awesome, filling, and just what my sweet tooth needed.

For dinner I made a brown rice pasta with corn and peas, a little Earth Balance, and pepper.  Since it was just R and I, I didn’t feel like making something elaborate.


My first workout today was a swim.  Saturday’s are R’s swim lesson days, so my swim workout duration is dictated by how long her lesson goes.  It’s scheduled for a half hour, but typically goes about 35 minutes.  Today though, she had a sub who went under, and the class was about 25 minutes.  I swam 36 lengths of the pool, so 900 yds.  It was mostly just freestyle swimming, but I did a couple drills with the pull buoy.  I was annoyed at having to stop at such an unrounded number.  Had the instructor gone the entire time, I’d have been able to hit an even 40.  Ugh.

I also had a scheduled run today.  Since it’s been just R and I today, I couldn’t run outside, so I had to use the treadmill.  It was nearly 7pm before I worked up the energy to do it.  I just dread using the treadmill, and 3 miles is about all I can handle before the Hamster Syndrome kicks in.  So while R was cleaning (ish) her room, I hopped on the ‘mill and got my run in.  I do have to say – running on a treadmill is SO much easier than running outside (HELLO…the sidewalk moves FOR you…) so it was probably the easiest run I’ve had in a long time….but I’d much rather be outside (bug spray and all!).

I have to mention that while I was on Twitter catching up, I learned a girl I follow is in Madison, WI and did a dualthalon near my hometown of Milwaukee in Oconomowoc!  I thought that was pretty darned cool.  I’ve heard about the schizophrenic weather up there this year from my family, and I don’t envy it.  Heck…we’ve had the air conditioner on for a week now in VA!


I mentioned earlier that yesterday was a really busy day.  It wasn’t a bad one – just busy.  My meetings started at 9am, and I thought I was going to have a break between 1130-1 to grab a bite to eat and haul it clear across town to get to my 1pm.  The impromptu meeting with my boss (remember…BBE – Best Boss Ever) was both good and bad.  Good because we’re finally going to get a solid answer on if a particular project is going to get funding and go forward.  Bad because I admit – I was getting whiny about something that’s been on my nerves for a bit – and I wish I hadn’t.  I tend to get impatient (okay…I’m almost ALWAYS impatient) and I need to just get over that.

My team meeting was really good.  They’re a totally awesome group, and for the amount of work they have to do, I’m amazed they stick with me most days.  Even the audit meeting was pretty good, and the things they’re doing to monitor my systems will just make us better.  It’s just going to be difficult to schedule the work it’s adding into already stretched resources. 

Our entire team went on a tour of our new – soon to be opened (August) hospital.  It’s very pretty!  We got to see the areas where our customers will be so we can visualize how the PC set ups will look, and get a general visual of patient flow so we can be sure our applications are optimized to meet their specific needs.  This is part of the fun stuff we do.

The early evening was nice, and it was lovely getting to spend some quality time – no matter how brief – with D.  He took a quick nap while I made dinner, and then we went to our friends’ house for some wine (for AC and I), and beers (for D and JC) and just relaxing and catching up.

This morning I was up early, had some coffee, then got R up to get her ready for swim and then gymnastics.  I made her pancakes (really…they should be considered a super food….some of my best workouts are a direct result of pancake consumption), packed up our bag, and we headed out around 845am.

After lessons/swim workout was over, we played for a bit (they have 3 pools at our Y and a hot tub), and then hit the showers.  We left around 1015, stopped at the grocery to get a pre-gymnastic snack (banana and crackers and water), and then went to gymnastics.  She did her class for an hour while I read (Kindles are awesome), and then we went to lunch and then home.

D took the older two to a local big festival with some of their friends.  They left around 1230 (before R and I got home – hence it being just her and I today), and still aren’t home yet (it’s 1030 pm EST).  The festival is at the big city park grounds, and D did some geocaching in the early part of the afternoon.  They stayed through fireworks and some rides, and one of A’s friends is going to spend the night.

I’ve spend most of the evening cleaning, doing wash, reading, and working.  I caught up on my blog reading, and I really want to highlight one of them.  I don’t typically do this unless I’m linking to a recipe I’ve made, but I was so moved by this post that I have to bring it up.  It’s from H at Where’s The Beach and it talks about her motivations to keep working out and eating well.  It’s such a different perspective than I have, that it really made me think.  If you have the time – please – click on it and read her story.

My main motivations for finally taking control of my health were initially family.  I watched D be sick off and on for several years with no diagnosis and no idea if he was going to live or die.  When he was an inpatient after a particularly ugly episode, I watched him struggle for nearly 2 weeks.  The first 4-5 days were hell – he wasn’t lucid and was in so much pain it was terrible.  It was then that I  realized that I cannot possibly continue to be how I was – obese and unmotivated to really change.  (have to really give major recognition to my employer here – their mentality is always family first – and I got to spend every second at D’s bedside without having to worry about work.  BBE and my colleagues handled every detail for me – even brought us dinner – so I could just be there…). 

I started to feel selfish – here I am….a perfectly able bodied person who was choosing every day by my actions and inaction’s to flush my health and eventually my life down the drain.  Who the heck am I to have the right to do that to my children, my family, and my friends??  I was looking at a future of diabetes (type 2 runs in my family), heart disease (yep, we’ve got that too), strokes (oh yeah…those too), cancer (don’t get me started), and many, many things that can be prevented by living healthy.  Earlier generations didn’t always know what we know now – and I couldn’t live with myself if I ended up shortening my life span because I was too lazy to get my life and health under control.  There are too many reasons to want to stick around in the best health possible for me to do that to the people I love.  Slowly committing suicide via diet and laziness were just NOT going to be my future.

Over the past few years, I’ve learned to appreciate my body and my improved health and sense of well being.  I’m glad I hit that bottom so I could bring myself out of it.  It’s taken a LONG time and I’m not done yet – but I’m proud that I’ve come to where I am.  I did it the honest way (in my opinion of course), and didn’t try for any quick fixes, diet pills, etc.  That is right for some people – but it’s not for me.  I don’t think I could have changed my habits and learned the life lessons I needed – the shame I used to associate with food because of how I couldn’t stop from overeating – if I had gone about this any other way. 

So wow.  Again – didn’t mean to go off on such a rampage about things so seriously.  Sometimes I can’t help myself because of how passionate I feel…sorry for the brief (okay, not so brief) tangent.

On a different note, how funny about all the “rapture” stuff today?  I can’t believe anyone is surprised that it didn’t happen!  Some 90 year old guy – who incorrectly “predicted” the end of the world in 1994, still manages to make news for something like this?  And oh, only the “chosen” will be raptured (is that a word?) today….the world is really going to end in October!  Good grief.

Tomorrow should be nice.  D and I were talking the other day, and I mentioned how it’s awesome how he does individual things with our son (like bball games), but I tend to do all the big things – like taking them to theme parks…things like that.  So D is taking R on the first ever Daddy and Me day to a big water park tomorrow.  And planning a Kings Dominion day with A (both roller coaster junkies).  So that means tomorrow is all about doing my brick workout, and getting a manicure and pedicure!

So it’s 1120, and hopefully D and the kids will be home soon.  R is passed out on my side of the bed….so I’ll have to wait so D and move her (I always wake her up) to her room.  Think I’ll bust out the Kindle and read until they get back!

Published by


I am a 45 yo busy career single mom and doctoral student attempting to find her inner athlete, be a gluten-free(ish) vegan, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, box, do yoga, dance, travel, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

4 thoughts on “Holy Rampage Batman…It’s Another Novel!

  1. Never apologize for your passion-fueled tangents. One of them was a major factor in my quitting eating meat, and another one routinely floats around my head and pulls me out of woe-is-me moments. I love your tangents!

  2. Sounds like you had a pretty nice weekend. I haven't been to Moe's in eons. Now I want that salad 😉 And thank you so much for the mention and link. You're too sweet. I loved reading more about your reasons for your lifestyle choices too.

  3. Thanks Heather. My weekend has been really nice. I think I OD's on Moe's when I was training for Chicago – I craved one every saturday after a long run. It's been a long time since I went, and I forgot how good that salad is!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s