Buried Treasure and Purple Dragon Snuggles

The past few days I haven’t done much in the way of cooking, but I’ve had plenty of tasty food.  Breakfast most days have been either fresh juices or smoothies – or both.  Lunch on Thursday was leftover eggplant, lentil lettuce cups, and a salad that I brought from home in my awesome Zojirushi Bento container.  Dinner on Thursday was R’s choice (post gymnastics), and she picked Carrabba’s.  I had a vegan pasta dish with artichokes, tomatoes, spinach, and mushrooms!  AND…..a peach sangria!  Between lunch and dinner I snacked on those yummy spicy seeds from Heritage.

the bright green is her leotard 🙂

Friday breakfast was a treat!  I made it downtown faster than I usually do, so I had time to stop at Yorgo’s Bageldashery.  They are a regular deli, but also offer many vegan options for breakfast and lunch.  I picked up a toasted multi-grain bagel with vegan sausage, vegan cheese, and a tofu “egg”.  It was fabulous!

Lunch was a hummus wrap with sprouts, cabbage, cucumber, tomato, onion, and mustard.  Dinner was green curry with S.
Saturday breakfast was a smoothie, and then lunch was again R’s choice (she had swimming and gymnastics), and she once again wanted to go to “that place where you can pick your own food….”, aka Golden Corall.  I had a really big salad that was in no way worth the $15 for a buffet, but still tasty.  Dinner was a clif bar and banana from Trader Joe’s, and then some fruits and veggies at a wedding reception for a good friend. 

This morning I made a tomato, orange, and carrot juice, and then heated up the leftover pasta from Thursday for my breakfast.  Lunch was leftover tomato/veggie soup over brown jasmine rice, and a couple lentil lettuce cups to use up the last of the marinated lentils from Wednesday.  Those I topped with some of my home grown sprouts.

Tonight will be taco/quesadilla night.  I have to do something with that mad bush of cilantro I have growing in the backyard!
Saturday I had a great swim workout.  I did drills for much of it (single arm pulls, pull buoy, etc), as well as several laps of freestyle.  I swam while R had her lesson, and then she hopped in the lane with me (adding flippers) and swam some laps with me while I finished.  Of course she delighted in beating me each lap because she had flippers and was MUCH faster than I was!
I really wanted to run Saturday too – but I feel asleep!  I thought I was lying down for 10 minutes until D got home, and the next thing I know, it’s 250pm and I have to get in the shower to get ready for a wedding!
Today I went to the gym around 1145 with all the kids.  They played and swam while I lifted weights for an hour.  Not a fun use of my time, but a necessary one. 
I’ve signed up for the 3Sport Tri in Richmond in July!!!  I’m so excited.  From everything I’ve heard – it’s a ton of fun and a well done race.  AT is may do it with me, so woo hoo….new Tri on the calendar!!! 

I also did a brick workout early this evening.  A 7 mile ride and a 3 mile run.  It was still nearly 3/4 of a mile before my legs felt normal.  Otherwise, aside from being windy, it was a nice workout.  My running pace average was actually much faster than it normally is, so that was a nice bonus!

On the way home last night, D informed me that he wanted to start hiking. I’ve been wanting him to find a physical activity he enjoys and to stick with it – whatever “it” is. And it certainly doesn’t have to be a family affair – I do most of my workouts by myself, and sometimes that’s exactly what I want. I don’t want him to feel selfish if he chooses to go somewhere alone. By all means! I need that to maintain my OWN sanity!

When the kids and I left for the Y this afternoon, D left with his geocaching and day hiking gear, and took off for Northwest River Park (a nice state park very close to home).  He spent nearly 4 hours hiking and treasure hunting – even found a few and buried some of his stuff too.  I got several texts from him while he was gone, but the bottom line is he had an absolute blast.  Here are a few of his pictures that I thought were pretty cool.


It’s been busy, but I can’t complain.  Thursday afternoon, D and I were talking about R taking more gymnastics because she loves it so much.  So she’s now taking classes on Thursday’s and Saturday’s for an hour each. 

Thursday our entire region was biting it’s collective nails waiting for the storms to hit.  DC was hit the evening before, and it looked like things were heading our way.  All of the news channels were going crazy with weather updates, storm warnings, and tornado watches.  Schools canceled all after school activities, and the skies looked dangerous most of the day.  We’re still pretty edgy from the mess 2 weeks ago, so it was quite hectic.  I even sent my team members to work from home at noon because I didn’t want them out in the elements when things rolled through. 

We ended up only getting some rain and winds, but nothing damaging or flooding.  We got lucky – surrounding areas didn’t fare as well – but it really wasn’t bad here at all.  R still had gymnastics, we went out to dinner, and basically welcomed the break in the heat wave when the cold front rolled through over night.

Friday was more hectic.  I had to be all over the area for different meetings, etc, so my day started really early.  After work, I got my nails done, picked up a few bottles of wine, and headed to a friend’s house who’s been home alone all week (hubby is out of town) and seemed a little down in the dumps.  So I surprised her, forced myself on her, and we had a nice evening sitting on her porch and getting some Thai food.  Good times.

Saturday was an early morning.  I got R ready for her busy day, and headed to the gym before swimming started at 9.  We swam, played for a bit, hung out in the hot tub, and then showered up and headed to gymnastics.  We stopped for a quick snack (I was out of edible bananas), and then class.  She flipped around for an hour while I read.  D had been out with A getting a hair cut, grocery shopping, and fabric shopping (she has a new candy-inspired dress line she’s working on), and they met up with us for lunch at Golden Corall, which was really nice. 

Before I left for the morning with R, I noticed Bumble sleeping on my bed near Figment – the mascot for Epcot Center.  When I got home several hours later, this is what I saw.  My cat snuggling with the purple dragon.

M had stayed home to cut the grass, and then went to a friends house.

I had hoped to get a run in between the after lunch and before wedding time I had (about an hour and a half), but ended up falling asleep.  So, skipped the run, but not the wedding!

The wedding was very nice, and then we went to the reception, which was also nice. And I wore a dress, which is pretty much a miracle.

From D’s geocaching adventure, he texted me a pictures of a flower, saying “a flower for you”.  It was cute, so here it is 🙂

When I got back to the house after my brick workout, the kids were in the backyard.  It took me a minute to find my oldest.  She was near the top of a large tree in the back yard!

So now it’s time to prep for another busy week.  My goal this evening is to finish my training calendar, get lunches done, finish the wash, and try to do as much as possible to make life as easy as possible this week!

Published by


I am a 45 yo busy career single mom and doctoral student attempting to find her inner athlete, be a gluten-free(ish) vegan, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, box, do yoga, dance, travel, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

4 thoughts on “Buried Treasure and Purple Dragon Snuggles

  1. Hi! I just started reading your blog, it's really fantastic! My boyfriend and I switched to a vegan diet a few months ago and we love it. I had to ask you a question: I must know what the dressing on that salad is! The salad with the bright orange dressing. It looks delicious! Anyway, I look forward to reading more of your blog posts, take care! 🙂

  2. Thanks, and welcome! It's so cool your bf is also eating vegan. My hubby doesn't. He's always very supportive of me, but we can be quite different 🙂
    The dressing is a basic french one. I usually use a bit less sweetener and sometimes add garlic, but here's the basic you can fool around with.
    1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
    1 cup ketchup
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup vinegar
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    whip it all up in a blender and chill.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s