Jellybean Hangovers Suck


I can’t complain too much on the food front the past few days.  I got to have Thai food twice (both lunches….one with a friend because we needed to escape a bit, and one was a working/meeting lunch, but still very nice).  Besides, Tofu Green Curry twice in one week can rarely be a bad thing.

I made quite a few things – thanks to my Living Cookbook 2011.  It’s so easy to put recipes from blogs or magazines in it, that I’ve been actually able to make a bunch of yummy things. 

Allow me to illustrate!

From Love, Veggies, and Yoga comes the Cheezy Vegetable Bake!  Not much could be easier, and I highly recommend it for a quick meal that you can make with ingredients on hand.  For mine, I used 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped carrots, chopped broccoli, a can of Amy’s No Chicken Noodle soup (vegan of course), some spicy sesame salad sprinkle from the spice kit from my dad, and some nutritional yeast to give it that cheesy flavor.  Put it all together, bake it, and done! 

right after coming out of the oven
I’m a fan of a few of the Amy’s products when I’m in a hurry


I also made an awesome raw breakfast Tuesday night for Wednesday morning.  I had a ridiculously early morning meeting (7am), and figured this was the perfect time to try one I’ve been looking at.  I didn’t take pictures because I ate it during the meeting (and while I’m totally cool whipping out the camera at a restaurant or friends house to snap pics of my meals….not so much at a 7am meeting with a bunch of cardiologists as I’m trying to keep a low profile – everyone hates IT people!).
Anyway, it’s from Oh She Glows, and it’s a chocolate banana oatmeal chia seed concoction that is absolute heaven.  I of course used vanilla soy milk instead of almond milk since we’re a nut free house.  It was so tasty and filling and satisfying that I can’t wait to make this a regular thing.  The fun thing is you just mix everything together the night before, and you have instant breakfast in the morning!
Breakfast this morning was a cup of coffee and then a raw avocado soup.  I know it may sound weird, but it was really good.  I put a cup of water, a peeled and pitted avocado, a garlic clove, some crushed red pepper, and lemon juice into the Vitamix and blended until smooth.  I topped it with some red onion and sliced cherry tomatoes.  It was really tasty, and I got the recipe from a raw food cookbook I picked up a few weeks ago and love.
I know it isn’t pretty…but it was really good!  Maybe a bit too spicy for a breakfast meal if you just woke up, but I was up an hour or two before I had it, so I was good!
At lunch time, R and I were at the mall, and I got to have my favorite Veggie Pho soup – loaded with rice noodles, broccoli, scallions, cabbage, and carrots. 
I made a juice as a snack after R and I got home.  Green apple, carrot, ginger, mango, pineapple, spinach, and orange in the juicer – not Vitamix.  Super yummy.
Dinner was a raw food extravaganza.  I didn’t wake up today planning for it to be a mostly raw day, but it just ended up that way.  I’m excited that it may be becoming a more natural alternative.  I’ll never go fully raw (I love my coffee, beans, and tofu too much), but I still love having raw meals too.   I ordered a sprializer from Amazon earlier in the week (so I can make noodles from veggies!).  It came today, so I just HAD to make zucchini noodles!  I marinated those and some tomatoes in a marinade of olive oil, tamari (soy sauce), and lemon juice for 2-3 hours.  It softened the zucchini and they tasted like al dente noodles.  Absolutely amazing!
my fun new sprializer
spiralized zucchini “noodles”
I also whipped out my dehydrator to make the pineapple “stir-fry” from the Raw on $10 a Day (or Less!) blog.  I was HIGHLY impressed.  I have a cheap-o dehydrator and it still did an awesome job.  Of course I had to use my new spiralizer on the carrots, but otherwise I just chopped up the veggies, tossed in the sauce, and put on the dehydrator try for about 2.5 hrs.  It was a little warmed and the veggies and pineapple had a soft but crunchy taste to them.  The marinade made the meal – especially since I’m such a balsamic vinegar fan.  The only thing I think I’ll do next time is reduce the amount of agave nectar.  It was a touch too sweet for me.
This week was all about rearranging the schedule.  I ran at home on Tuesday, and got 4 miles in.  I wasn’t going to, but I realized on Monday (thanks to a Tri club team mate), that Wednesday was Ash Wednesday and I was going to miss the Tri Club run.  It was rainy and crappy out, so I ran on the treadmill.  Not my favorite, but at least I have that option.
I missed the Friday swim club due to some drama with my son (long story….but working itself out.  He can’t be perfect ALL the time I guess).  I did go to the pool this morning though to get my workout in.  1000 yds in 25 minutes.  R’s swim class is a half hour, so I wanted to swim while she did.  Then we played in the other pool for a bit (somehow, I always end up being the horse that swims her around on my back).  She went on the slide, and then we hung out in the hot tub before showering up.
I am doing the Tri club’s brick workout tomorrow on the Smithfield course (the triathlon course) tomorrow.  We’re doing the course’s bike and run.  I’m nervous, but excited too (Smithfield has hills…which we do NOT where I live…too close to the ocean I guess).  I didn’t do the Fat Frogs group ride today because I want to be not sore for tomorrow.  I did, however, finally get clip shoes and pedals!  I put my bike up on the trainer this evening, practiced getting into and out of my pedals (I’m totally scared of falling), and cycled while watching Miami Vice on my computer in the green room (called such because of the wall colors and my lack of imagination otherwise).  I’m going to do a few laps in my neighborhood in the morning to practice on the road before the brick tomorrow.

my cool new shoes

don’t mind the mess.  This is the office/guest room.  Only room downstairs with carpet, so that’s where I cycle at home.

I have to say that I love Fat Frogs.  R and I went there after the mall, and they totally hooked me up.  They didn’t try to sell me the most expensive brands (like somewhere else I checked out did), and walked me through what was appropriate (and least expensive) for an entry level cyclist.  Then they put the pedals on my bike, put my bike up on their mount, and had me practice until I knew what I was doing.  W (my coach) was there (it’s his shop) and made some adjustments so the springs in the pedals where what they should be.  I ended up spending less on the shoes and pedals combined than I would have on just shoes at the other place.  Yeah Fat Frogs!!!
A quick note on Lent.  Most people know that Lent started this past week.  The past few years, I haven’t given up anything, but rather tried working on what I think are my character flaws.  This year, I am doing both.  I’ve given up gluten (something I’ve always wanted to do, but never managed to stick with), and am working on improving my tolerance and understanding (it’s really so I can cope better at work more than anything else- the source of a lot of my stress is related to that – but it’s a good thing to work on regardless).
I was at the grocery a couple of days ago, passed by the Easter candy section, and ended up picking up a couple bags of jelly beans. Now…I’m NOT a candy eater most of the time, and I avoid sugar pretty regularly. Unfortunately, my stress level is the worst it’s been in a long time, and I found I absolutely NEEDED jellybeans as soon as I saw them. Yeah…I apparently forgot to tell my body about the sugar influx, and it didn’t react well at all. I ate jelly beans. Loved them all…and then couldn’t feel well for hours! I think I brushed my teeth 3 times, and finally just curled up in bed and drank as much water and I could trying to flush the nasty sugar out. Ick.  Jellybean hangover.

I wish I could say life has calmed down the past week or so.  It hasn’t.  I can’t remember when I’ve sustained this high of a stress level for this long.  It’s starting to take it’s toll on me, and I’m just counting down the days until vacation.
Speaking of vacations…..I’m an idiot.  Remember how I mentioned that R and I are taking a mommy-and-me trip to Disney World in April??  Well, I booked the trip this past Monday.  I got a killer deal on a two bedroom Sheraton Condo a half a mile from the Disney compound (about $370 for 5 days).  There’s a full kitchen and plenty of space (R told me to bring my juicer, which I thought was cute).  Anyway, a week or so ago I had looked at my calendar to confirm my days off, etc, and booked the trip accordingly.  I was meeting with my boss on Tuesday morning, and it turns out she’s taking her kids (and a friend each) to Disney during spring break too!  Cool….(her daughter is 16, and could watch R while my boss and I met at the hotel bar for a drink, right???).  My boss tells me the dates she’s going – and it’s the week after I am.  Bummer.  I guess my city has a different spring break than hers.  Strange, but not impossible.  Yeah.  Not really.  I went home and checked the school calendar….I had blocked the wrong week off!  Of course the trip is pretty much non-refundable, so I’m going to Disney a week earlier than I should be….which means R gets to take 3 unplanned days off of school.   Oops.
I did get a nice break on Thursday though.  3 of my girlfriends and I went out for drinks after work, and it was really nice.  I think we all needed it (A’s husband went out of town this week, S’s cat has been sick – but he seems on the mend, and L needed a break just like I did).  We spent about 4 hours chatting, eating, and having a couple of beers.  Yeah for girlfriends when life gets tough.
D hasn’t been feeling well, and we realized early this week that he’s in the beginning stages of a Crohn’s flare up.  He’s been good about his meds, but bad on his eating habits and stress levels.  He had 5 go-lives in 2 weeks, worked a lot of crazy hours, and he’s finding that the sheer physical stress can trigger a flare up.  He called his doctor who put him on the “flare up meds” yesterday.  Unfortunately, the treatment is as horrific as the disease is, and the meds make him sick.  The next couple of weeks will be rough for him (and the kids and I…we hate seeing him so uncomfortable), but hopefully it’ll be over soon.  He has to stick to soft foods and zero fiber until he’s better (fiber can cause bowel obstructions – and emergency surgery). 
On that note…going to leave you all with a funny picture.  D made tuna melt sandwiches for him and the kids the other night when I got home late.  Our cat, Bumble, gets wonky when tuna is opened, and I found out that D leaves the cans for her.  She REALLY loves that…..

Published by


I am a 45 yo busy career single mom and doctoral student attempting to find her inner athlete, be a gluten-free(ish) vegan, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, box, do yoga, dance, travel, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

4 thoughts on “Jellybean Hangovers Suck

  1. I love it when I can go into a store and they don't try to pressure you into higher priced goods. I think that's better service than anything. A girl's night sounds great. Glad you got to enjoy that. Sorry to hear about D and the Crohns though.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s