Proud to Be a (Vegan) Cheesehead!!!

Way to go PACKERS!!!!! 

America’s favorite team (poo on Dallas) has done it again!  The Lombardi trophy is going home where it belongs.


Without writing out nearly a week’s worth of meals, I will say that it was a really good food week.  I also had a friend ask me for info on being a veg.  She wants to slowly move in that direction, and I was flattered that she came to me for advice.

A few of the things I made:

An awesome Indian eggplant dish with tons of habanero (it called for chilies, but the only peppers that looked good in the grocery were habanero), cilantro, and peas.  It was really spicy, but very good.  I roasted the eggplant in the oven for 45 minutes, and then mashed the insides with spices, onion, garlic, and a small bit of soy milk.  It made a thick paste, and I ate it spread on lavash bread, and topped with some onion and lettuce.  My oldest even took some to school the next day for her lunch.  It makes me incredibly happy that she likes most of my food.

lavash bread with hummus, eggplant, onion, and lettuce.  AMAZING

Fresh juice!  I’m addicted to this.  Both Vitamix juices or juicer juices (as was this one).  One is certainly more filling, but the other tends to be more refreshing. 

I made a brown rice, chickpea, squash, cauliflower, Thai thing in my rice cooker.  It’s a variation on something I’ve made before, so I knew it would be good.  Lots of veggies, brown rice, chickpeas, coconut milk, and Thai spices.

Tuesday night was a nice quiet dinner out with D.  It was the 20th anniversary of his father’s passing, and we went out alone to talk about his memories of him.

D enjoying a pre-bday dessert!

quite good, actually.  mushrooms, spinach, garlic, and breadcrumbs.

Dinner on Friday was with friends at 456 Fish.  They make an incredible vegan dish where the “noodles” are actually made from zucchini.  After a nice dinner and some wine, we hit an Irish put just down the street. 

Today was vegan pizza day!  I made home made dough, and topped it with tomatoes, onions, sweet bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, and red cabbage.  It was awesome!


The highlight of my week was definitely going for a bike ride outside.  Don’t get me wrong, the swimming and the running made me happy too, but I finally got to take my new bike out for my first ride.

I stopped up at Fat Frogs on Thursday and had my new seat put on it.  I was really hoping for a nice enough day to take her out for a spin.  Today was that day!  It was 50 and sunny, so I took off for the Great Dismal Swamp trail (which is all paved and flat).  I had a few goals for today.  One – I wanted to get a feel for the bike.  I haven’t ridden a road bike in a VERY long time, and the gear shifting is much different.  It’s a bit more touchy than my hybrid is, so I wanted to be sure I wouldn’t have balance issues (I’m highly uncoordinated, so basically….didn’t wanna fall on my tush in the middle of a road the first time riding).  I also wanted to practice going from a ride to a run with little in between. 

I decided to just do 6 miles on the bike.  I was well dressed – long sleeve technical shirt, short sleeve technical shirt, long running pants, and a fleece.  I also had a headband to keep my ears warm and it fit snugly under my helmet.  Add a pair of gloves, and I was set.  I went out for 3 miles, and back.  It felt good, though I was pushing it that last mile.  I put the bike in the back of my van and took off for a run.  AWKWARD.  My legs didn’t want to work right, and I only made it a mile total.  I felt like I was running through pea soup, and I just couldn’t find a groove at all.  Half the time I felt like I was going to topple over.  This is something I really have to practice and get some advice from the team on.  Quite frankly, I felt like a doofus.  At least my butt doesn’t hurt!  (yeah for the girly seat!).


This was an incredibly busy week.  I worked at least 55-60 hrs this week, and still feel like my To-Do list multiplied at some point when I wasn’t looking.  I’d be in the office 8-9 hrs, get kids, get home, and have to keep working just to be prepared for the massive amount of meetings I had.  It’s weeks like this that work/life balance doesn’t exist. 

Friday was nice.  We did a birthday celebration dinner with friends (her bday was last week, her hubby’s is this week, and D’s is a week from today.  I’m the odd ball out with an October bday!).  We went out and had a really nice time.  It’s been a long time since D and I got to do that, and it was much needed.

Saturday morning was a little rough (just maybe I had a wee TOO much fun Friday night!).  R had swim lessons at 1030 and her first ever sleeping over at a friends house!  Her friend and her mom met us at the Y at 11 so the girls could swim for a bit before going back to her house.  R was so excited, she started packing the night before.  She wanted to bring movies, toys, books, and food.  I finally had to tell her that E would have all those things, and not to pack anything but clothes, jammies, toothbrush, and her pillow pet.  When G and I were making the arrangements, I let her know about R’s nut allergies, and that R would have her 2 Epi pens in her bag (you give one every 15 minutes until you get to the ER).  I kissed her goodbye around noon when she was getting into her friends car, and I fretted all day that she was okay and having a good time.

I spent much of the day up in Williamsburg at the outlet mall.  It was a raining and overall crappy day, but we were in need of some essentials (like D’s undershirts) that when on sale – are really good.  I made a stop at World Market and Fresh Market in Newport News on my way back home. 

This morning I woke up at 6, which just upset me because I hate mornings.  At least I slept really well and felt good, so I can’t complain having the house to myself for a few hours.  I slept with both my cell and house phone near me in case R needed to call me.  She didn’t.

My cell rang at 8am.  It was E’s mom (we had arranged that I’d pick R up at 10, so I was a bit freaked out).  She wanted to let me know that the girls were just fine, but E got ahold of R’s epi pens and stuck herself with one of them!  Then G opened the other one, the cap fell off, and the medicine expressed out of it.  I was horrified that her daughter got a dose of epinephrine, and G was horrified that the epi pens were garbage.  I certainly didn’t care about that; we have plenty.  I’m just glad the girls were okay.

I picked R up, brought her home, and went to do my workout.  After I got home, I watched a little TV and then got busy in the kitchen.

This evening after giving R a shower, she threw her arms around me and told me she loved me so so much, and that she’s sorry she was too busy at her friends house last night to think about me.  It was cute.  I’m glad she wasn’t home sick on her first night away from home, but still.  Didn’t think about me at all?  Sigh…

I’m hoping this week is less crazy, though I’m not betting on it.  D is heading out of town at 330am on Wednesday, and won’t be back until about 2am on Monday.  I have a couple 7am meetings that I’m not sure how I’m going to figure out yet, but I’ll think of something.  For now, I’ll just be happy that the week from hell is over, a great weekend was had, the Packers won the super bowl, and try not to think too much about tomorrow.

Published by


I am a 45 yo busy career single mom and doctoral student attempting to find her inner athlete, be a gluten-free(ish) vegan, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, box, do yoga, dance, travel, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s