If I Work THIS Hard on a Day Off…


Breakfast on Sunday was leftover tofu curry veggies.  Why?  Because I have a microwave 🙂  Lunch was some hors d’œuvres  at a party I went to with S, and dinner was small Greek salad and eggplant from Spaghetti Eddie’s.  It was pretty good, but the bowl they gave me could easily serve 4, so I have a ton of leftovers. 

In the midst of all this, I made some kale chips in my dehydrator (an awesome suggestion by JLGoesVegan).  I coated the kale leaves in olive oil and lemon juice, let sit for about 20 minutes, then sprinkled a ton of Vulcan Fire Salt on them from the gift pack from my Dad.  They were really good.  My daughter A loved them.  D tried them, made a face that resembles when a dog eats peanut butter, grimaced a bit, and declared a firm dislike of them.  He’s not very adventurous though….so don’t let it sway you from trying them.  They were nicely spicy and crisp.  I have found though, that if I don’t eat them all right away (and even I couldn’t nosh 3 lbs of kale chips), that I like them best if I reheat them in the toaster oven to regain the crispiness.

This morning I made a green juice for breakfast with 2 bananas, 1 orange, a handful of blueberries, a cup of water, and 2 handfuls of spinach.  It was a REALLY big juice (filled my 24 oz Tervis with a bit extra), and filled me up nicely.  Lunch was a Clif bar.  I know…I try to not do that.  I thought I was going to get out of a meeting at 11, and didn’t until nearly 3.  If I didn’t have Clif bars in my brief case for emergencies like this, I would have gotten very hungry (and cranky!).  Dinner was a salad and some homemade herbed pasta sauteed in olive oil and fresh garlic.  YUMMY.  Oh, and I made chocolate chip cookies too!

the dough as it was being rolled out with my Kitchen Aid

the dough as it’s being cut into spaghetti!  This part was fun.

the pasta waiting to go into the boiling water (I love how it only needs to cook for about 3 minutes)

cooking pasta!

about to enjoy the fruits of my labor!

my very simple dinner salad

I’m getting excited about the different pasta I can make.  I can even make big batches, dry the noodles, and store them for future use.  I think this would be a pretty groovy gift idea.  I’d love to make some tomato basil pasta and then can homemade sauce and give that as a simple gift.  I think I may have to work on fun combinations of pastas, soups, sauces, and other things and start making gift packs!


Today was the Tri Club spin class.  We were hanging out in the Y lobby talking before the room opened up, and I asked everyone if they minded if I take pictures.  No one cared, so I snapped a few before the workout.

Today’s class was meant to mimic the Smithfield course.  As it happens, the very first part of the course is a hill, so that was fun.  Ugh.  D’s going to download the coarse map for me so I can ride it a few times before the actual race in April. 

Between the warm up, the ride, and the cool down and stretching, the class was an hour.  It was a good hour and I loved it, though I REALLY need to get padded shorts!

D’s worried about the brakes on my new bike, and since I want to do the group ride Saturday morning, he wants to have that fixed before hand.  I also need to take the bike in for a fitting to make sure the seat, handle bars, etc are all set for me.  I slowly want to get clip shoes, pedals, and aero bars for it as well.

the spin bike.  Aka…torture device

the group getting their bikes set up and starting to warm up


I went to a very interesting party yesterday.  My friend S took me to an Eco Maniac Party.  It’s sort of like a Tupperware party, but with Eco friendly products.  It was nice, and I met several people (I only knew two people there, my friend and the hostess).  Not all their products were vegan though (like the soaps), but most were.  All were either locally produced or Fair Trade, which was neat too.  I always use my grocery bags when I shop – and I have about 15 of them so I certainly didn’t need any of those – but I did pick up small mesh produce bags, which is nice.  I also picked up a re-usable snack bag for R’s school snacks.  They’re meant to replace the need for Ziploc’s.  She loved it, so that makes me happy.  Little Earth Girl.

After the party, S and I grabbed dinner and she brought me home.  D and the kids and I watched an episode of Chuck, and then I just really wanted to go to bed.  I haven’t slept well or much lately, and by 820, I was wiped!  D and I put R in bed, and then he watched an episode of Dr. Who with the kids while I went upstairs.  I watched an episode of NCIS:LA that I had recorded that was so old, it was advertising an upcoming Black Friday sale.  I fell asleep pretty quickly though, and I really needed it.

I was SUPPOSED to have off today.  The kids didn’t have school, and I try to take off as many of those days as possible.  Yeah.  Not so much happening.  I’m in the middle of working with my customers to select a vendor for a new IT system.  The vendors had come down back in December, but because of the snow storm, not all the demos were done.  They all came back, and most of the sessions were scheduled today.  Since I head up the IT part, I couldn’t very well NOT come, so I woke up at 545 this morning to get ready for work, thinking I’d be done by 11 and home by 1130 and still get to have half a day off.  Nope.  One of the vendors got stuck in Detroit and was very late (not at all their fault), so the whole day shifted.  Then I needed to talk to everyone and didn’t end up leaving until 3.  Oh well, I guess I really didn’t need a day off after all.

D has been growing a beard since about Christmas or so.  I will be honest.  I really don’t like facial hair.  Maybe it’s the old squid in me (Navy), but I like clean shaven and short hair.  BUT, I love D and he’s adorable no matter what he does, and it’s his face, so I really have no right to have a say in the matter.  However, I’m happy to say that tonight, he shaved it off!  He was tired of it, but wanted to be sure I had picture documentation of the only beard he’s ever had. 

D trying to look pensive

the much more typical happy-go-lucky D

So that’s pretty much it!  I have a really packed day tomorrow with meetings that start at 9 and don’t stop until the end of the day.  I have to do one in my car as I drive between places.  I really hate doing that, but it is what it is.  I read somewhere several years ago that the human race will never realize it’s evolutionary potential for one reason.  And that reason is meetings.  I fully get that now.  I spend more time in meetings than I do getting work done, and I end up bringing work home with me to be sure all my stuff gets done on time.  Oh well, I really can’t complain.  I love what I do and where I do it, and that makes me very fortunate. 

So good night, and I’ll update soon!

Published by


I am a 45 yo busy career single mom and doctoral student attempting to find her inner athlete, be a gluten-free(ish) vegan, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, box, do yoga, dance, travel, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s