Who Knew Swimming Was So Hard?!


Yesterday I felt a bit better than I did on Wednesday, which was a big blessing.  My eye stopped being gross and was just tender instead.  Throat wasn’t as bad either, and the ears – while still plugged – weren’t as sore.  All in all, a good day.  And I started getting my appetite back too!

Breakfast was yet another tofu egg-less salad on toasted Ezekiel bread.  It was awesome.  And the last of the salad – and the end of my easiest meal.  Since I slept in a bit, I didn’t eat breakfast until almost 1030, so that was really my lunch too. 

Dinner, though, was a total experiment, and ended up being REALLY good.  I was inspired by this recipe.  I didn’t have many of the ingredients on hand, but I made due.  And was thrilled with the result!  So here is my recipe for….

Thai Inspired Rice Stuff:
1 cup brown basmati rice – I soaked it for about an hour
2 cups water
1 can of coconut milk
1 tbsp ground ginger
2 tbsp red Thai curry (from the spice house kit from my Dad!)
1 tsp salt

A TON of frozen veggies.  Pretty much everything I could dig up in the freezer.  I think anything would actually work.  I used…

about a cup of peas
about a cup of shelled edamame
about a cup of mixed frozen veg of broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, and squash

I threw it all into my rice cooker, picked the brown rice setting, and hoped for the best.  It was wonderful.  It had a nice spiciness to it from the curry powder, and it was creamy and flavorful. 

After that, I was in the cooking mood, so I made a batch of cookies from The Vegan Cookie Connoisseur that my parents got me for Christmas.  I made one of the soft chocolate chip cookie recipes.  They came out very well, and I was very excited.  The nice thing about this book is there are no special ingredients you need; everything is pretty much stuff any standard kitchen would have around.

I usually like making big batches of food for me one or two days a week (usually on the weekends), and then I eat the leftovers all week long.  Since D and the kids aren’t veggies, I tend to run out of time when it comes to making multiple meals in the evenings after work.  They are eating more and more vegetarian friendly meals, but I still firmly believe that if I had the choice to be a Vegan; so do they.  It’s not my right to inflict my choices on others.  Would I love it if they were?  Oh most definitely.  But again – free will.

The lack of microwave has made this usual full-proof plan slightly flawed, however.  I’m having a tough time eating any leftovers that don’t need heating (hence the tofu egg-less salad meals so often!) This morning, I reheated a mish mash of leftovers in my convection toaster oven (my Thai rice stuff, curried lentils, and a cooked sweet potato).  15 minutes at 350 wasn’t quite enough, but I was too hungry to put it back in the oven!

Lunch was a smoothie and a veggie wrap from the smoothie place.  I’m trying to reduce the amount of dining out, but I was running A to an appt, and she needed to eat too…so we stopped for smoothies and sandwiches.

Dinner tonight didn’t happen for me.  I just didn’t have the time or energy to make anything.  I did snack on pretzels around 530 though, so that’s kept me full enough.  I just desperately need to go grocery shopping…and get the bloody microwave fixed or replaced!


I didn’t work out on Thursday.  I was not up to it, and after being admonished by my doctor, I knew it was in my best interest to stay home. 

I did, however, workout today.  I’m still not feeling 100%, but I felt well enough to go to the Tri club swim workout.  I really didn’t want to miss it since we were doing time trials to get placed into our skill levels.  Mine will definitely be novice I’m sure!

We did a 100 yd swim, and my time was 2:12.  Then we did a 300 yd swim, and my time was 6:48.  Then we did open swim, and I was spent!  My ear started hurting a little bit, but it wasn’t too bad.  I was really winded, but I think that’s more from how tough swimming is vs being under the weather.

The group was given 3 lanes, so we did spend quite a bit of time out of the pool waiting for a turn, but I’m not complaining.  An hour straight of swimming isn’t something I’m ready for (yet), and it gave the club members a chance to chat and get to know each other a bit.  One thing is for sure…I need to get to the pool several days a week and work up my endurance again.  I have a feeling this will be my weakest event, at least in the beginning. 


Yesterday and today I worked from home like I promised.  Yesterday I stayed in bed while I worked – partially because I was still pretty poopy feeling, but also to keep me isolated from the rest of the family in case I’m infectious.  I had a few conference calls, but nothing that required too much talking, which was good. 

Thursday’s are a gymnastics day for R, and bless D’s heart…after a long day of working and carting kids around, he took her. 

I went to bed fairly early, and got a good night’s sleep.  Thank goodness for NyQuil!  And antibiotics.

Today I woke up early to help D get things together (he was scrambling a bit).  Then I got to work for a few hours back upstairs in my room.  A had an appt, so I picked her up from school, took her to her appt, and then got her to her other school after.  I rushed back home, and jumped on a conference call, went to pick up my youngest while D was held over at work, worked for a few more hours, threw dinner for D and the kids in the over, and then went to the Y for my swim.

I got home around 8, put on some jammies, cleaned the kitchen, and have been relaxing ever since!

I do want to say how proud of D I am and what a really good man he is.  We both work in IT for the same company (it’s a REALLY big company and we’re in totally different areas).  We’re a large health care system, and the area he supports are our nursing homes’ IT systems.  One of the patients at one of our nursing homes is a very young man (early 20’s) who had an injury that has left him mostly paralyzed.  He will likely spend the rest of his life in a nursing home.  Our company has wireless internet for all of our patients, and if they have personal laptops, they can use them.  This young man’s laptop wasn’t connecting, and even though it was outside of D’s job, he went out to help this man get his PC working.  There were several issues with the network and again – more problems that were in no way, shape, or form part of D’s work responsibilities.  But you know what he did?  He made all the calls, got all the people involved, and then today on his way home, went back to see this patient to see if his computer was working.  I think that if D could make this young man’s life any happier by what he did, that’s just amazing. 

As a total side note, when I went into IT (I was in laboratory medicine before that), I was worried that I would lose that sense I had of directly affecting the quality of someones life and health.  Before, I would ensure blood was compatible for a patient in surgery or in need of a transfusion. I verified what illness people had by analyzing and looking at their blood, I could tell if radiation or chemotherapy was being effective, and I could tell if they were taking their medication, and if it was the right dose.  While I didn’t really touch people physically, I was still a part of their care, and it made me intensely happy to know that the work I did helped possibly make them well.  When I transitioned into IT, I really worried about losing that, but I’ve been amazed at how it’s still there.  I make their health safer in different ways now, but it’s still very satisfying.  And this week, my husband proved it by what he did.

Okay, tomorrow is going to be a really busy day, so I’m off to bed!

Published by


I am a 45 yo busy career single mom and doctoral student attempting to find her inner athlete, be a gluten-free(ish) vegan, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, box, do yoga, dance, travel, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s