This is my Happy New Year’s post. I know it’s technically the second day of the new year, but there was no way I could post yesterday.
I started feeling off around 11pm on New Year’s Eve. I had been sneezing most of the day, and decided to get my neti pot out and hopefully stave off a sinus infection. After our sparkling juice toast, we all headed off to bed – where I struggled until 330am when I finally fell asleep.
By Saturday morning, I knew it wasn’t a sinus infection. I had all the symptoms of the flu; fever, body aches, sore throat, headache, and chills. I don’t deal well with being so sick that I’m confined to one room, but that was me yesterday. I felt like someone had used me as a punching bag, and even my hair hurt. Fortunately, D took very good care of me, and kept me supplied with Powerade, water, throat drops, and theraflu.
The good news is I actually slept pretty well last night, and I am not as bad today as I was yesterday. I haven’t had a fever all day, and the aches aren’t nearly as bad.
Despite the past 36 hrs, I’m still hopeful and looking forward to a wonderful 2011, and I definitely have goals for the year.
1. Fitness. It turns out, that my Triathlon dream is alive and well after all! After speaking with the coach, the first two months of training (for the cycling portion) take place inside in the Spin room. He owns a bike shop, and knows I want to buy a used bike for my first one. He has one lined up for me at a great price, so I’m going to proceed with training as planned! So my first goal of 2011 is to compete in my first Triathalon!!
2. Money. I have a daughter starting college in 2 years, and my son 2 years after that. It’s starting to scare me a bit, and my husband and I realize that we’re not always as frugal as we could be. I’m not saying that our lives are going to totally change, but I do want to be smarter and more aware of where our money goes, and to make a better effort at saving. We go out to eat too much, I could do a better job of grocery shopping, and we can find better ways to spend time together as a family that is a little less $$ than we normally do.
3. Food. I eat a pretty good diet, but I could certainly clean it up – and so can my family. Processed foods still are too big a part of our lives, and sometimes convenience outweighs health. That comes from lack of planning, so my goal for this year is to be better about planning our meals in advance to make sure they are healthy and balanced and consist mostly of whole foods.
4. Humanity. The greatest gift one can give is their time. It’s not to say that those people who can give money aren’t appreciated – they very much are, and we have done that in the past. It’s just that there are so many opportunities to do good things for our community, and I don’t. My goal is to find volunteer opportunities and give of myself to those who need it.
5. Family. I haven’t been the best cousin/niece/sister/daughter/granddaughter I can be. I moved away from home a very long time ago, and really have only focused on my own life, and the distance that has grown has been more than just physical. I want to fix that, and be a better participant in my extended family. They’re great people, and I’ve missed them.
Of course my 2011 has other plans around blogging, work, friends, stress reduction etc – but I think having 5 defined goals is more than enough!
So my apologies for being a day late on this post, but to all – a Very Happy 2011!!