Bad Mood Blogging

I refrained from blogging Tuesday due to my poopy mood.  And ya know what my friends??  Wednesday wasn’t any better.  Don’t get me wrong…I have had moments that didn’t stink, but all in all.  I could have done without the past couple of days.
Tuesday was an early day, and breakfast was a stuffed bell pepper and coffee.  My boss had her bi-annual all staff meeting at one of the area hotel conference rooms.  The meeting actually went very well, so I can’t complain about that.  It did sort of go down hill from there though.
The meeting got out near 11am, and as I was heading to my noon meeting, I called my husband, who was home sick.  I asked him to do 2 things.  Take care of the dishes, and do the last 2 loads of wash.  He said “no problem honey”, and I went to buy a banana and some juice at the gas station as I was filling up.  Mood at this point….still happy.
I get to my noon meeting, which is really wasn’t fun at all.  A couple people were made to look pretty bad (glad it wasn’t me…and hope if I ever make a mistake, it’s not aired publicly like that!).

After talking budget and where we’re going to find an extra $400k to pull off a project, who’s going to beg the execs to allow it, etc, it was time to go to lunch.  That was sort of the highlight of my day.  I went back to Quenna’s Raw Vegan restaurant in Ocean View, and had an amazing lunch of lentil soup and a tofu pita sandwich, and a cup of tea.  I read my Kindle while I ate, and then left.  Both before I went and after, I called dutifully to check on D to see how he was feeling.  Of course, he promised to get the couple of things done that I asked that STILL weren’t taken care of (we’re talking 20 minutes of work here).  My mood?  Starting to tank.

my ray of sunshine for the day

After all my work fun is over, I get home.  Nothing done.  Bad day at work, bad mood.

I was torn between going for a run, doing yoga, or having a glass of wine.  What I really wanted to do was all three, but I’m not THAT good.  So M and I went for a run.  Mood….happy. 

Then I got back home and realized my husband is blind to housework (and my begging to have it done), so I left to go pick up my eldest from school.  I took a shower after I got home.  Mood…poopy again.

We ate dinner (pizza fundraising night for my little one; they ate pizza, I ate one of my Sunday leftover meals of tempeh and veggies) and caught up on Survivor.  That helped a little bit.  Then it was bed early because I had to leave home at 6am.  I had plans to go to the 630 spinning class the next day with my friend, and asked D if he wanted to come with us.  He laughed…a very incredulous laugh.  I asked him if it was because of how sweaty I came home the night before.  He said no…but I’m not sure I believe him.  I imagine knowing you’ll be turned into a sweat ball isn’t appealing to everyone.

I was up Wed by 445am and out the door at 6.  My first morning meeting of the day wasn’t as bad as this one can sometimes get, and I was only a little bit blasted.  It’s a room full of cardiologists, and they spend part of the time discussing their IT systems…which is now my job.  At one point, one of them says very loudly “and speaking of IT….when will I be able to use my cell phone in all areas of the hospital?  Service and reception stink!”  That’s NOT me, but promised to look into it. 

After a few other meetings, it was time to find some lunch.  D and I were supposed to be able to meet, but he was sent at the last minute to Williamsburg for a late afternoon meeting, and I was pulled into a few things this afternoon, but had time to grab a quick meal.  If you’ve read this blog before, you know that I LOVE Thai food, but my favorite dish doesn’t agree with me when I run, so I try and stay away from it.  This time, I had the steamed spring rolls, pictured below.  It’s tofu and veggies in a rice paper roll, and steamed instead of fried.  It’s served with a sweet and sour dipping sauce, and they are heavenly.  I make a tofu apple version at home that rock too..but since they’re complicated to make, I generally just leave it up to the professionals.
  They even made a pretty carrot flower!  I don’t do that when I make mine 🙂

Without going into any details, my day just got progressively worse, where I think my mood was worse Wed than it was Tuesday.  This time, the source of all of my drama was work.  And while it was a very intense and ugly thing, at least it was just work. 

D didn’t get home until very late in the evening from Williamsburg.  One of the bridges was stuck in the open position, so there was no flow of traffic at all.  The other route had an 8 mile back up, so his choice was to sit in traffic or to kill time in WB.  He killed time in WB, and made it home just before 7.  I have to say, he did redeem himself yesterday from my housework annoyance the day before.  He walks in the door, hugs and kisses all the kids, and then tells them that he’s “taking mom out for a drink”.  He was well aware of how bad the past few days had been, and even though he had a ridiculously long day, thought to do something to help me de-stress!  Aww.  It’s moments like this that make it impossible for me to be mad at him!  It was doubly nice because I missed the spinning class at 630 with my friend because I was on chauffeur duty and just couldn’t swing it.

We went to Carrabba’s, which has Wine Wednesday’s – $10 off per bottle.  D hadn’t eaten, so he ordered dinner.  I had made an awesome wrap at home of Gardein BBQ pulled shreds (which is supposed to be like pulled pork I guess), coleslaw, and a roasted portabella mushroom, so I wasn’t hungry.  He had chicken parm and pasta.  Smothered in a ton of cheese.  I just think it’s funny how vastly differently we choose to eat.

In his defense, he didn’t manage to eat the whole thing in one sitting!

All was well on our way home, and I was laughing and forgetting what a crap day I had…when my boss called.  Ugh.  She’s awesome, but I may end up losing a battle I’m fighting.  Oh well.

So today is a new day!  I’m working from home today since the kids have off of school.  I have a lot to do, but looking forward to doing most of it in my jammies.  Tonight is also a run night, and I want to do my Fitlinxx routine.  My friend is doing a spinning class tonight, so depending on how I’m feeling, I may end up working out a LOT today!  Either way, I’m just hopping to avoid any bad mood!

Published by


I am a 45 yo busy career single mom and doctoral student attempting to find her inner athlete, be a gluten-free(ish) vegan, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, box, do yoga, dance, travel, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s