Idle Hands…Will Get Me in Trouble

We all need a day off now and then.  And for me, that was yesterday!  Not work wise, but exercise wise!  And it was a good day indeed.
The morning ran very smoothly thanks to all the prep D and I did Thursday night (ironing clothes, making lunches, etc).  It was actually pretty amazing.  D was out the door by 7am, and R and I left at 715.
Breakfast was coffee and a couple slices of my leftover veggie pizza.  Breakfast of champions, really.  Poo on Wheaties.  They got NOTHING on pizza!
My first scheduled meeting was for 8am; a conference call with one of my senior medical directors (head physician IT guy).  I got into my office around 745, got my PC booted up, got through a few emails, and dialed into the conference number.  And there I sat…with my phone on speaker listening to musak with no doc dialing in.  Around 830 I hung up and got a few more things done before my 9am walked into my door.  It really wasn’t a big deal since I got to use that time to get some prep for my other meetings done, and I would have been in the office anyway.  Apparently the doc declined the meeting, but no one knew about it until it was after 830.  Oh well, no harm, no foul.
I made some tea, got some water, and got ready for the rest of my meeting day.  My 9am went well, though my meetings with this director usually do.  The one after that went really well, since everyone attending had prepped wonderfully.  It was an internal IT meeting to review the 5 systems we’re evaluating, and we’re getting THAT much closer to picking the vendor we’re going to get.  I can’t wait for this part to be over.  I did find out on Thursday that I’ll likely have to go on a few site visits in January.  I really hope they pick California or somewhere warm, and not cold state.  Cold and me aren’t always friends.
Lunch was a smoothie and half a veggie veggie wrap (no cheese) from Tropical Smoothie Cafe, which is a favorite of mine. 
After work, I met up with a friend of mine for a few beers and some onion rings, and while I felt guilty half the time that I wasn’t going to be working out, it still was a nice time (see below).  We did make plans to meet up a couple times a week at our Y (he lives in my area) to take spinning classes, so that has to count for something.
  Evidence of my Fun Friday.  Hey….it was light beer, so I’m good.  🙂
Dinner was a couple of spring rolls and szechuan bean curd, courtesy of our local Chinese restaurant.  My hubby is amazing, though if dinner isn’t planned or made…he orders take out.  And since I was out catching up with a friend…Chinese was the take out of choice.
D was working on something for my sister, and A and I went to the grocery for a few essentials…including the ingredients for her to make Vegan chocolate chip cookie dough to take to her friends house the next day.  They didn’t want cookies…just dough.  And spoons.  Her friend will have to supply those.
Since we’re sending my sister a package anyway, I decided to make her a few CD’s of some of my favorite music for her iPod.  I felt like it was the late 80’s and I was making a mixed tape!  57 songs later (and 3 CD’s), I decided that was enough (for now!).
We caught up on Chuck while eating dinner, and had a good time.  I popped in The Island (which is one of my favorite movies) and fell asleep half way through.  It was a nice Friday.
This morning I woke up to my dog pacing in my room.  Not making any noise so much, but just enough to make her presence known.  To me.  She never wakes D up (then again, neither does our alarm most days; that’s my job).  She wanted breakfast.  It was 845am, so I don’t so much blame her.  After getting a sweatshirt and slippers on, I walked downstairs to feed her and make a cup of espresso.  I see R climbing on the counter getting a bowl, and very proud and excited that she’s getting her own breakfast.  Cinnamon Toast Crunch (dry…she doesn’t like milk IN her cereal…just in a cup).  It was cute, and she was immensely happy with herself.
I reheated a stuffed bell pepper from the other night for breakfast, and then it was time to get ready to head to the Y.  R had swim lessons, and after that, she chilled in the Play Zone while I did my Fitlinxx weight training routine. 
The afternoon was spent watching a movie with D that we’ve had from Netflix for a month or more.  I can’t remember the last time we did that, or when we didn’t have weekend plans.  The ONLY scheduled activity this weekend was swimming.  Other than that…FREEDOM!  To be honest about myself, I don’t handle that well if it’s too often (I like doing “things” too much), but this is the first weekend since the 4th of July that we didn’t have plans of some kind. 
M and I went for a run around 4pm, which was nice.  He was faster than me!  After that, D took A to her friends house (with cookie dough in tow), and I hopped in the shower.  M had a friend come over, and I ran to the store.  I made spaghetti and garlic bread for everyone else, and had some spaghetti noodles with that acorn alfredo sauce that I’m fully addicted to.  I’m out of leftovers, and may need to make another batch tomorrow.  It’s easy, and I can’t articulate enough how amazing it is. 
M’s friend just left, R is watching Alice in Wonderland, and D is playing video games. It’s the perfect time of day for me to have a glass of wine, and catch up with everyone.

I’m not sure what tomorrow will bring.  Running for sure, and maybe yoga.  I’d like to watch the ING NYC Maarathon too.  And cooking.  And another movie!  The possibilities are endless!  I LOVE that!

Published by


I am a 45 yo busy career single mom and doctoral student attempting to find her inner athlete, be a gluten-free(ish) vegan, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, box, do yoga, dance, travel, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s