Not Really a Waitress

Thursday evening ended up being a crazy cooking day.  It’s finally getting chilly outside (mid-60’s during the day, 40’s at night), and I got this urge to cook fall food.
I made an incredible sweet potato and butternut squash soup in my crock pot that just smelled like Thanksgiving all day.  I sauteed some onions and celery in olive oil and tossed them into the crockpot with 3 peeled and cubed sweet potatoes, a peeled and cubed butternut squash (I admit, I cheat…I buy the pre-cubed stuff in the produce section), 4 cups of veggie broth, and some sage, thyme, and salt.  Cook on low 6 hours, and blend into happiness. 
I also had an urge to cook with cranberries, so my sister-in-law sent me a recipe for a pumpkin-cranberry bread, and since I had all the ingredients on hand, I made it!  It was a hit, and made the house smell amazing. 
Then I started looking for something to do with some leftover rice from the night before, and found a recipe for a broccoli/cheesy rice thingy with mushroom soup and made that.  And of course some green bean casserole from one of my favorite vegan websites.  And since I was on a Thanksgiving kick, I made stuffing (which is a food group unto itself for my husband.  See below) and (since they’re omnivores), a turkey tenderloin.  It was a fabulous meal, if not pretty much a month early.
Friday was a day of early meetings and chauffeuring my eldest all afternoon.  I got home late (hadn’t had lunch), so I whipped up a totally wonderful meal.  I still had the acorn squash Alfredo sauce leftover from the other day, so I made some quinoa noodles, peas, and added the sauce.  The result was an almost macaroni and cheese-like dish of amazing food, but was very healthy at the same time.  I love it when a meal is completely whole-grain and veggies, and just feels like decadent comfort food. 
  my alfredo pasta awesomeness.  see prior post for recipe.
  D’s second plate of food that meal.  Only thing he went back for was a mound of stuffing.
Friday night A had a school Halloween dance, so she dressed up as a zombie doll, watched Psycho (yes…the school actually played this movie at the dance), and then danced for awhile with some friends.  While D took her to that, I took M to the mall for some much needed clothes shopping.  We ate at the food court, and I got one of my favorite all time meals…Vietnamese Vegetable Pho Noodle Soup.  Awesome. 
Today was just as hectic.  D slept in since his pager went off half the night last night, so I woke up, made coffee, and ate a quick breakfast of oatmeal and toast.  I went to the gym, but before I could go, I needed an audio book.  I finished my final book (book 10) of the Sookie Stackhouse books (True Blood) yesterday, so I was at once happy and sad about it.  I decided that morning that I want to re-read (and catch up on) all the Anne Rice vampire books.  I asked D to get them for me and put them into iTunes.  He hadn’t yet done that, so I decided to buy an audio book on before going to the gym.  My friend S has been really wanting me to read a detective novel series by Michael Connelly called the Harry Bosch series.  She gave me an audio book called The Overlook a few months ago.  It was ok…not great, but not awful either.  I decided to give it another shot, and went to the first book in the series, called Black Echo.  I’m a couple hours into it now and not loving this one either.  I generally like detective books, but I think I’m going to give up after this one.  May just have to stick to vampires for a bit.
Anyway, after the gym, I ran a few errands.  I’ve been really wanting a Tofurky for a few weeks, and typically the Farm Fresh grocery stores carry them.  I’ve checked 2 in the area, and no luck.  So I went to another one, and no dice there either.  I think I’m going to have to go to an actual hippie store to get it.  Ugh.
I got home, took a shower, and took my time getting ready today.  It was actually nice to not be rushed!  I even painted my nails (well, I did half of them anyway….).  Since I’m feeling so festive, I went red…something I don’t do often.  The nail color is called Not Really a Waitress.  I think it’s funny, since I often FEEL like one at home!
I decided to take R to Busch Gardens for a final night of Howl-O-Scream.  M and A both have activities going on, and really thought it would be fun to take R to do something too, so we left around 230 pm.  For the first time ever, I’m pulling into the park and there is a big sign that says “Park May Reach Capacity”.  Holy cow.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen it so busy!  But…we had a great time anyway.  We went on a ton of rides.  For awhile, we ran around the Land of Dragons, and I felt like I was doing a Survivor Challenge.  A pic is below of her climbing up a rope bridge.  Just so you realize….in order to GET this picture, I had to do it to.  Twice.  I’m glad I’m in shape.  She chanted “FUNNEL CAKE” for about 2 hours, so I finally broke down and got her one. 
  adventure girl!
After funnel cake fun was promptly followed by belly ache fun, we decided to wrap it up around 830 and head home.  It was a really nice time, and I’m glad we went.
So now I’m off to bed.  I’m hoping to guilt D into getting me my new book before I go to the gym tomorrow.  Here’s hoping…

Published by


I am a 45 yo busy career single mom and doctoral student attempting to find her inner athlete, be a gluten-free(ish) vegan, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, box, do yoga, dance, travel, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s