My Bags Are (Almost) Packed and I’m Ready To Go!!

(…sung to the Peter, Paul, & Mary song, Leaving on a Jet Plane)….

Wow.  I decided yesterday that I need to revisit my decision making paradigm.  10 months ago when I first made the decision to run a marathon, it seemed brilliant.  Honestly, I only did it because my husband (very snarkily) asked me when I was going to run a full marathon now that I’ve done several half-marathons (I was in the middle of training with the J&A Racing team for the March Shamrock).  Of course I took that as a personal challenge, and I shot back “this year”.  I immediately went onto to see which marathons were in the fall/winter to give myself plenty of time to train.  After debating between Richmond, DC, and Chicago, I decided Chicago would be perfect – October weather is typically cooler and more conducive to running, and I have family close by who could come see me.  And I probably had a few glasses of wine, so when registration opened up on February 1st, I was signing up just after I woke up that morning. 

I decided to do my last workout before the big day yesterday morning before work.  So off to the Y I went to do my strength training.  From there, I went to work for the day where I really focused on things I had to get done…probably because I was too afraid to actually think about the weekend coming up.

I ran into a couple people who know of my training, and got some very encouraging comments.  As one friend put it….it’s not like I’ve done this before, so it’s going to be a PR (personal record) even if I finish last!  Woo hoo 🙂 

Last night was swim lessons for R, so I went BACK to the Y (how’s THAT for dedication!?!).  M came with, and after lessons were over, the three of us went swimming for a while, hung out in the hot tub, and then headed home around 730pm.

Breakfast was coffee before the gym, and some veggie soup after.  Lunch was the Thai food I’ve been craving (Tofu Green Curry of course!).  I didn’t eat dinner (I know…but my lunch was just so filling!). 

I tried thinking about packing yesterday, but that was too challenging.  I decided that I usually pack at the last possible moment anyway, so why break the streak.

I knew today was an early day, so I made lunches for school last night, and planned a crock pot meal for today just to ease the stress levels a bit.  I’m glad I did, because work today has raised those levels to epic proportions anyway. 

I actually opened my suitcase this morning and put in a sweater.  Then the cat jumped in and decided she wanted to sleep on my sweater.  I couldn’t disturb her because it was really cute, so that’s pretty much the extent of my packing.  I can at least say I’ve STARTED.  I did print out all my itineraries and check into my flight (and pay the stupid bag fee – even though I only have ONE, they still charge).

Tonight is A’s open house for her art school, so I’m picking her up at school at 5, doing some shopping, and then going to her open house from 7-830pm.  I anticipate getting home around 9 tonight, where I’ll have to actually finish packing.  Then it’s up at 330 am so I can get up to Richmond in plenty of time to catch my 7am flight.  I land in Chicago at noon, and then the weekend fun begins. 

My sister and I have been doing more planning of logistics this week.  Okay really, she has been doing all of that.  I just know that I’m totally excited about the Expo.  There’s also a Vegan festival on Saturday, but not sure about that.  I want my parents to have fun too, as they are forgoing their typical yearly trip to Door County in order to go to Chicago instead.  I want them to have fun too.

So here it is.  3.  More.  Days.  Holy cow, where did the time go??  Am I ready?  Will I get enough sleep the night before?  What should I eat??  Will I finish??  Will my family who’s coming get to see me, or will it be so crowded, that it’ll be impossible?  Will the adrenaline of the moment carry me through a ridiculous distance of 26 miles???

So, not sure if I’ll have another post until after the race.  I leave bright and early tomorrow morning, so depending on how the next 2 days go, I may not have a chance to get online.  Provided I survive the experience, you all know I’ll be taking many pictures and will post them along with a summary of the event.

WISH ME LUCK (I need it)!!!!

Published by


I am a 45 yo busy career single mom and doctoral student attempting to find her inner athlete, be a gluten-free(ish) vegan, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, box, do yoga, dance, travel, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s