Monday, Schmunday

Ugh.  It was really a Monday today!  I was sleeping well – no birds chirping at me an an unholy hour – and really didn’t want to get up.  The bedroom windows were open, and it was just chilly enough to want to stay buried under the covers.  Alas, it’s a work and school day, so only a couple rounds of snooze-tag before getting up. 

While D was making coffee, I started making breakfasts and lunches for everyone.  Omelets and toast for everyone else, and leftover pasta primavera for me.  Lunches were very basic…nothing fancy on this dragging Monday. 

I had several meetings, and once the work day got into full swing, I didn’t feel exhausted anymore.  A couple of us finalized an RFP (Request for Proposal) for a new Cardiac IT system, I had a hardware meeting to determine what type of servers I need, how many, etc, then a (very exasperating) conference call with one of my vendors, a quick discussion with one of the technical managers, and then ended the day in a meeting with one of the hospital administrators.  Whew….busy day.  Lunch was a yummy lettuce and chickpea salad, so that was pretty much the highlight.

My sister and I talked a bit about the upcoming weekend in Chicago.  I realized that I have absolutely no plans other than flying in and running.  Guess I better get on that…

I went to pick R up from school and head to the gym.  She has swim lessons on Monday’s and Wednesday’s at 6, so we got to the Y at 5, she played in the PlayZone while I did my Fitlinxx strength training workout.  I got through 12 of the 13 machines before I ran out of time.  I forget how busy the gym is that time of the evening!  Anyhow, we scrambled into the locker room, and she changed into her bathing suit.  She was so paranoid that she was late, that she jumped into the pool – with the last class still in there – and started swimming laps.  She was very confused when I told her to get out of the pool, that we weren’t late!

As R and I were finishing up at the gym, D was heading to martial arts with A and M.  I went home, worked with R on her homework, and made dinner.  I had tofu/veggie egg rolls.  Yum.

M is running for class president this year, so he and D worked on his campaign flyer.  M did a great job, so I hope he does well in the election Friday.

So some cool news….

I have the single most awesome kitchen appliance in creation.  It’s called a VitaMix, and it’s absolutely incredible.  Anyway, I have had it for about 2 1/2 years, and I follow their Twitter feed and Facebook pages.  A couple weeks ago, they started advertising to VitaMix owners to submit an essay about their machine and how it’s benefited their lives to be in a 90th anniversary book.  So I wrote one…and found out on Friday that my essay was selected for the book!  The essence of the essay was about R’s nut allergy – and how with my VitaMix, one of the things I can do is make my own flours and dessert treats that she may otherwise be denied because of her severe allergy.  When I was notified of my winning submission…they asked for a photo.  So D and I took the ones below…of R holding a plate of cookies, next to our VitaMix, and wearing her I Have Food Allergies t-shirt!

So that’s my day.  Long, but productive! 

Published by


I am a 45 yo busy career single mom and doctoral student attempting to find her inner athlete, be a gluten-free(ish) vegan, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, box, do yoga, dance, travel, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s