Insomnia Plus Excess Nervous Energy Is a Strange Combination

I couldn’t sleep last night.  It’s no surprise to anyone who knows me well that I suck at sleeping in general, but when I’m stressed about anything, I don’t sleep at all.  So what was I stressed out about??  How about my baby girl (okay, she’s 15, but still) going to NYC without one of her parents?  I’ve never been to New York, and what I DO know, I learned from Law and Order and CSI:NY, so it doesn’t take much to figure out where my over active imagination goes.

I stayed up watching Castle, Real Housewives of New Jersey (yes, I’m admitting it out loud – I record it.  It’s funny), NCIS, and Top Chef Masters.  At some point I fell asleep, and when the alarm went off at 445am, I still had the TV going and my glasses on.

I woke A up, piled into the van, stopped at the bank to give her some travelling cash, and took her to the charter bus that would carry her away for 3 days.  Did I mention that I didn’t have an option to go with?  That I HAD to let her go without a relative??  Oy.  I have never been away from her more than 1 night that didn’t involve her being with family.  Not a big deal to her I’m sure, but it is to me.  S texted me last night asking why I was so quiet (we talk…a lot) and if I was doing OK.  She knows I’m a mess and is a fabulous friend.

After dropping A off and driving around the area for 10 minutes and circling the bus again to make sure she was safely on (she doesn’t know I did that…unless of course she reads this somehow, and then I guess she will), I decided to stop at McDonald’s and buy breakfast for D, M and R.  I was exhausted and didn’t want to cook breakfast – I also wanted to go to sleep and would feel guilty having D get the younger two ready for school.  Not that M actually needs any help – he gets up, makes his own breakfast, and unless I do it, he makes his own lunch too.  R is the only one that needs assistance…but she needs a lot of it.  She hates getting up in the morning, is poky as anyone I’ve ever known, and combing her crazy hair can take forever.  Plus making her lunch (with her nut allergy, we don’t ever let her buy a lunch at school), so I figured the least I could do this morning was bring some hot cakes for her.  D also doesn’t multi task well, so between him and R, it takes them forever to get ready in the morning unless I intervene.

I crawled into bed at about 620 this morning and proceeded to fall right asleep.  D and the kids came to kiss me goodbye, and I slept until 9 ish when Sammie (my dog…I don’t feel the need to abbreviate her name for some reason) did her persistent bark-every-30-seconds-until-someone-gives-me-what-I-want thing.  Usually it’s reserved for weekend mornings when it’s past 630am, the family is sleeping, and she wants to eat.  This morning she wanted to go outside in the sun and my nap was keeping her from that.  Silly dog.  So I got up, made some espresso, and started researching week whackers – after I let her out to sun herself of course.

I went to Home Depot and had the expert teach me everything I needed to know.  My yard has been driving me crazy, and I just couldn’t take it anymore.  The people who lived here before us apparently fancied some English Garden environment, and it sucks.  I know nothing about gardening or plants (which is funny now that I think about it considering that my entire diet is derived from plants), and it’s gotten way out of control.  I told D that I was going to hack it all up and make it look presentable again – my consistently mowing over it wasn’t as effective as I wanted.  So….I bought a new weed whacker based upon Justin’s recommendations (I can say his name too because I don’t know him), some clear bags for yard garbage, and some Round Up weed killer (to not only kill weeds, but to attempt to kill other crap in my yard that I don’t want anymore).

I got home, changed into my running gear, got the mower, weed whacker, Round Up, hedge sheers, bags, gloves, and iPod, and got to work.  That was at 1120 this morning.  I finally stopped moving in the FRONT YARD at 3 when D got home – and brought me Moe’s!  It looks great.  I tore up a ton of the yard, mowed, weeded, whacked, and raked.  I also danced a lot – it’s fun knowing the every single song I hear is one I love, or I wouldn’t have put it on my iPod to begin with.  I found a nasty plant in the front that has huge thorns and I got torn up quite a bit (gonna take my revenge out on that plant tomorrow), but overall I’m very happy.  My front yard looks presentable and even though I had no clue what I was doing, I’m pleased with the result.  I just kept hacking at things I didn’t think belonged. 

During lunch the appliance guy arrived to fix my stove.  Apparently it was a bad ignitor, which he fixed and I don’t have to buy a new stove!  Yeah! 

After stove success, I started on the back yard, which is about 3-4 times bigger than the front.  I mowed, and weed whacked about a third of it, when I couldn’t take it anymore.  I was filthy, my body was sore, and I itched everywhere there was exposed skin.  TMI, sorry 🙂  I was hoping to put off showering until I could run my 3 miles…but I just couldn’t.  I couldn’t sit on any of my furniture because I was so dirty, and the itchiness got to me.  I love nature.  I just don’t want it on me.  Of course because I showered, I knew I wasn’t going to run.  Alas, I don’t feel too awful.  I wore my bodybugg (Body Bugg) while doing my yard work…and when I connected to the site, found I had burned over 1700 calories while working, so I’m guessing I’m okay.

D took M to his music lesson and then to a 720pm showing of Iron Man 2.  I got a text around 715 saying they were going to movie-hop into Prince of Persia, so it’s just me and R tonight.  I took her to dinner at Frank’s II on Battlefield for some yummy Italian food, and got home just a little while ago.  So I popped open a bottle of red wine, and decided to update my blog.

A arrived safely to NYC at 130 this afternoon.  She took the Staten Island Ferry, saw the Statue of Liberty, had dinner, walked around, and is currently at an art gallery showing.  I can’t imagine how amazing her trip is going to be, and I hope she loves every second of it.  As for me, I’m just counting the seconds until she gets home. 

Published by


I am a 45 yo busy career single mom and doctoral student attempting to find her inner athlete, be a gluten-free(ish) vegan, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, box, do yoga, dance, travel, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s